SolarEdge + StorEdge + LG RESU - anyone done it?

joth

15 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I am hearing quite a lot about difficulties with people who have installed Solaredge.

Are they there yet as a reliable supplier, who's product does what it claims?

( I already have Solaredge optimisers and rectifiers in my existing system.)

Weve recently installed 2 x SE systems on top of the 2015 FIT system we already had.  A breeze to install and very easy to add/alter if you want to expand/rearrange panels.

We had an optimiser fail on the FIT system a few years ago which was easily spotted with SE module level monitoring. SE diagnosed the fault remotely and sent out a replacement within a few days... I didnt have to ask. Fitting the module is DIY if youve got access to an alloy scaffold tower(own/hire/borrow) OR a ladder and rope/harness. Remember that with an SE system youre only dealing with <40 volts on the roof. 

Loads of advantages with an SE system that have been detailed in previous posts👍

• Like 2

Does anyone know why SolarEdge single phase hybrid inverters are only compatible with high voltage batteries (StorEdge and LG Chem Resu)?

The three phase SolarEdge hybrid inverters are also compatible with any 48V battery.

Edited by Benguela
Spelling

Hello,

Most of this thread goes over my head but I am having an Energybank installed in a few weeks (hopefully). From what I have read will I need admin access to alter the charging profiles ? As I am on Octopus GO and would like to charge it over night in the winter and probably not in the summer. Basically have a bit of control I assumed this was going to be done via the app is this not the case.

47 minutes ago, Arty68 said:

Hello,

Most of this thread goes over my head but I am having an Energybank installed in a few weeks (hopefully). From what I have read will I need admin access to alter the charging profiles ? As I am on Octopus GO and would like to charge it over night in the winter and probably not in the summer. Basically have a bit of control I assumed this was going to be done via the app is this not the case.

Correct, charge profiles are all setup on the installer's web portal. You can do it yourself or have your installer do it via the instructions I linked. There's quite few premade profiles for octopus Go on the site, some say winter only. Drawback is I couldn't find out how to view exact details of how someone else's profile is configured, plus they may change it any time, so I just made my own.

Ideally it would charge overnight to a capacity based on predicted sun tomorrow and usage patterns:) I'm sure they'll add something like that in future 

But I charge it fully every night, as I can sell PV for some price I buy it back overnight (7.5p) it's a wash so I may as well keep it topped right up every night 

21 hours ago, joth said:

Correct, charge profiles are all setup on the installer's web portal. You can do it yourself or have your installer do it via the instructions I linked. There's quite few premade profiles for octopus Go on the site, some say winter only. Drawback is I couldn't find out how to view exact details of how someone else's profile is configured, plus they may change it any time, so I just made my own.

Ideally it would charge overnight to a capacity based on predicted sun tomorrow and usage patterns:) I'm sure they'll add something like that in future 

But I charge it fully every night, as I can sell PV for some price I buy it back overnight (7.5p) it's a wash so I may as well keep it topped right up every night 

Sorry for being stupid but assuming the installer doesn't give me access to his portal which I would doubt he would, how do I change things myself after install say if I changed tariff ?

4 hours ago, Arty68 said:

Sorry for being stupid but assuming the installer doesn't give me access to his portal which I would doubt he would, how do I change things myself after install say if I changed tariff ?

AIUI I think the options are:

1/ Phone up the installer and ask them to do it

2/ Find another installer and pay them to do it

3/ Ask SolarEdge??

4/ Reverse engineer all the protocols so you can control this locally over modbus?

As noted above, the portal seems to have lax security measures (I seem to be able to  edit the settings for all the customers of my installer) so I won't be at all surprised if an installer declines to grant this access, and  it certainly is a strong argument against going for such a cloud-tied solution as SolarEdge are offering.

5 hours ago, Arty68 said:

Have a read of this as pocster seems to be able to configure SE charging quite easily-

All is not well in the PW SE multi verse https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/28269-all-is-not-well-in-the-pw-se-multi-verse/

On 08/09/2022 at 20:25, Dillsue said:

Have a read of this as pocster seems to be able to configure SE charging quite easily-

All is not well in the PW SE multi verse https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/28269-all-is-not-well-in-the-pw-se-multi-verse/

Although that thread is even more over my head I would say he as access to the installer portal.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me that the owner can't change when they want to charge and discharge. Do you think SE will change this or will I be stuck with it ? 

50 minutes ago, Arty68 said:

Spoke to SE and the they are working on the customer being able to change the charge profiles hopefully by the end of the year

SE have been on about adding TOU to the app for ages but haven’t . Once you get installer access it is easier - but app based would be far simpler 

when I get mine installed it will be OK as I'm on octopus Go and will want to charge it from 00:30 to 4:30 . I'm just thinking in the future that might change and I don't think on relying on my installer to change it is sustainable. Might ask my installer if there is an alternative I assume he could off load my SE battery onto someone else it just if there is anything else available.

44 minutes ago, Arty68 said:

when I get mine installed it will be OK as I'm on octopus Go and will want to charge it from 00:30 to 4:30 . I'm just thinking in the future that might change and I don't think on relying on my installer to change it is sustainable. Might ask my installer if there is an alternative I assume he could off load my SE battery onto someone else it just if there is anything else available.

Just insist ( in writing ) that you are given full installer access once installed . Asking installer to change ToU will be a ball ache . I fiddle with mine a lot - that’s mainly to make it play fair with the PowerWall 

3 hours ago, Arty68 said:

Might ask my installer if there is an alternative I assume he could off load my SE battery onto someone else it just if there is anything else available.

Register an installers account with SE?? I have a homeowners account for our original MCS system that was set up by the installer at the time. Ive opened an installers account to add our second  DIY system to their portal once I get an internet connection to the inverter. My daughters hubby opened an installers account to add their DIY system to the portal.  No batteries in any of those systems so I cant say what can be configured through the portal.

I think once youve opened an installers account youd be able to log onto Setapp and use that to configure the charging??

Edited by Dillsue

13 hours ago, Dillsue said:

Register an installers account with SE?? I have a homeowners account for our original MCS system that was set up by the installer at the time. Ive opened an installers account to add our second  DIY system to their portal once I get an internet connection to the inverter. My daughters hubby opened an installers account to add their DIY system to the portal.  No batteries in any of those systems so I cant say what can be configured through the portal.

I think once youve opened an installers account youd be able to log onto Setapp and use that to configure the charging??

Looking at the how to open an installers account looks like you need a serial number of an inverter that has not been registered on the monitoring system. I guess that would mean removing my existing system and setting it up on my account. Not sure what complications that would cause with doing the layout and warranty. As well as the fact I'm just joe public so maybe shouldn't be messing with stuff I don't understand.

I thought you were getting a new system installed? If thats the case tell the installer not to register the system and you do it on your account, I didnt need an inverter serial number to open an installers account.

When my daughters hubby registered their system, two of the optimisers had been previously registered- they were bought as NOS but clearly their serial numbers had made it on to the SE portal at some time. Over a day or so the optimisers were accepted and now show up on their system. I guess the SE portal checks to see if theres any data coming from the originally registered system and if there isnt, allows them to be assigned to a new system? My second system is using a secondhand inverter so I expect the same temporary issue once I get an internet connection to it and register the system.

Edited by Dillsue

On 14/09/2022 at 07:02, Dillsue said:

I thought you were getting a new system installed?

Had my solar installed a couple of months ago rather than wait for the battery. Which hopefully should be coming soon. Spoke to my installer he says you can ask him or SE to change profile. So will probably just have to suck it up until SE come up with a solution if ever. 

1 hour ago, Arty68 said:

Had my solar installed a couple of months ago rather than wait for the battery. Which hopefully should be coming soon. Spoke to my installer he says you can ask him or SE to change profile. So will probably just have to suck it up until SE come up with a solution if ever. 

At least one person on BH made access to the installer facility an express term of contract.

Too late no for you, I'm afraid - but I add this for info.

3 hours ago, Arty68 said:

Just tell your installer you want full access . It really is easy get them to setup especially if you haven’t made full payment yet . It’s your system not his ….

Edited by pocster

On 21/09/2022 at 11:30, Arty68 said:

You can take complete control of the device via Modbus if you get your installer to turn on Modbus TCP. It sounds more difficult than it actually is.

1. Get a raspberry Pi.

2. Install home assistant https://www.home-assistant.io

3. Install the HACS addon.

4. Install this addon using HACS https://github.com/binsentsu/home-assistant-solaredge-modbus

If you get any worries with it let me know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bertybuttface said:

You can take complete control of the device via Modbus if you get your installer to turn on Modbus TCP. It sounds more difficult than it actually is.

Which reminds me, Loxone has ~pretty good modbus TCP support, so in theory I can integrate SolarEdge inverter directly to Loxone without any external server/software.

Fronius seems to have good prior art for this: https://loxwiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LOXEN/pages/1316061809/Fronius+Hybrid+with+Modbus+TCP#FroniusHybridwithModbusTCP-b.BatteryCharging%2FDischargingOptions

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2022 at 15:52, bertybuttface said:

1. Get a raspberry Pi.

2. Install home assistant https://www.home-assistant.io

3. Install the HACS addon.

4. Install this addon using HACS https://github.com/binsentsu/home-assistant-solaredge-modbus

If you get any worries with it let me know.

This was super helpful. I also found the solaredge example on Loxone knowledge base which was slightly helpful (the author unfortunately did not understand basic additive mathematics), and some pointers on the Loxone discussion group, and I got the full monitoring/reporting integration working! Direct Loxone to inverter over TCP, not external servers or cloud involved.

It'd be fun to do charge control from Loxone too, but first I need to try and address the glitchiness of the scale factors changing (polling them races against the value being scaled), and also figure out what units the accumulated energy meter is in, it claims watt hours, but looks more like joules to me!

Images show overnight cheap rate charging from grid, discharging this morning, then charging from PV.

Screenshot_20221012-023224.thumb.png.0542d4d6413a68b2ada81244c418e58b.pngScreenshot_20221012-085214.thumb.png.aaabc575eefdf895b120da688aae691f.pngScreenshot_20221012-092354.thumb.png.9a459c875b5ce0c063d9ea1a253d86bc.png

• Like 2

On 06/08/2022 at 18:04, bertybuttface said:

In the interim I have got a Modbus connection with the inverter working. This feeds directly into home assistant. Hopefully the battery data will too.

So how did you get into the RS485 connector on the battery? It seems to be placed in the most inconvenient place with no way to access the screw terminals, and afaict no labeling as to which terminal is G B or A.

Context is, everything was going swimmingly until 5:30am yesterday morning when the battery just inexplicably stopped doing anything. It sits there claiming to be charging with 1-3W of input rate (LOL) but in actual fact seems to be very slowly discharging itself. All excess solar is going to the grid, it's not meeting internal demand, and changing ride the MSC profile to be prioritize charge or discharge does nothing.

I did a couple battery diagnostic checks in SetApp and it failed both. One time Comms worked but charge/discharge didn't, second time Comms failed too.

Removing and re-adding the battery the inverter was no help. Solar Edge have opened a support ticket but claim they can't debug anymore due to my slow internet connection (complete BS).

I noticed the installer did not exactly follow the MIs for modbus, B and A terminals are supposed to be in a single twisted pair (SE suggest using Blue, Blue/white) but instead the installer doubled up 3 pairs for it. (Exactly same error as my MVHR installer made, again modbus)

I don't *think* this could be the cause of the comms error as it worked fine for a month and nothing has changed, but does seem the obvious place to start diagnostics.

I'm going to attempt to drag them back in on Monday anyway.

Very frustrating to suddenly be paying full price for all my juice again!

On 15/10/2022 at 21:25, joth said:

I did a couple battery diagnostic checks in SetApp and it failed both. One time Comms worked but charge/discharge didn't, second time Comms failed too.

Removing and re-adding the battery the inverter was no help. Solar Edge have opened a support ticket but claim they can't debug anymore due to my slow internet connection (complete BS).

So a small, positive update.

I tried removing the battery then performing the forced reset (?) on it -- hold the O/I/P toggle in the P position for 5 secs -- before re-pairing it to the inverter.

After doing this the self-test diagnostic still failed (passed the comms test, but failed the charge and discharge steps). However, it now appears to  be working again. 24hrs plus in. It charged from sun yesterday midday and again today, and from Go cheap rate overnight, and discharged as expected at other times.

When I get chance, I need to re-attempt another self-test diagnostic. If that now passes I'm not sure what next steps to take, as I don't want to be performing this fire drill every month. I've not been able to contact the supplier/installer at all, and SolarEdge have escalated the ticket to higher tier but no follow up yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2022 at 21:25, joth said:

So how did you get into the RS485 connector on the battery? It seems to be placed in the most inconvenient place with no way to access the screw terminals, and afaict no labeling as to which terminal is G B or A.

I'm not connecting directly to the battery with Modbus. I connect to the inverter with Modbus.

If the screw terminals are in a silly place you should be able to pull out the whole connector (the green bit).

The Battery and the Inverter are talking with "SolarEdge Energy Net for SetApp inverter" which to the best of my knowledge is a Zigbee based protocol.

Apologies for the delayed response.