Openreach!

patp

34 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

😮

I can’t get past bt to get to openreach!

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Report a "no dialing tone" fault.  They will check from the exchange and find there is a "connection problem" and send someone to fix it.

Yeah you need to really complain.

Insist on it and call everyday - be a bloody nuisance 

6 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

Because we had a temporary in the static it reports that there is a line and a ‘takeover’- they don’t seem to be able to override this so we just keep having to cancel and send back bloody routers. It’s blowing my mind! I’ve been and bought the duct myself and installed it-

i just need a human with some cable and a green Fivre optic connector!

If BT/Open reach think you have a phone line when you don't, call up and ask them to test it. They can do this while you are on the phone to them. It won't work and they will normally schedule an engineer to come out. When he arrives appologise and tell him the operator insisted your non-existent line was faulty. If he can't fix it ask him if he can get their database updated.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

Well! A little lie does go a long way, the kind lady tested it and said it’s crook so an engineer will come Wednesday!

👍🏼

Do let us know how he gets on and when he finds the "fault"?

At least you will get it to the attention of OR and explain BT think you have a line, but you are still waiting for it to be connected.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Do let us know how he gets on and when he finds the "fault"?

At least you will get it to the attention of OR and explain BT think you have a line, but you are still waiting for it to be connected.

Well there is a line…and I am paying for it already :o

you know, I don’t want to be a bore but I just wanted a human to come and look so I can explain. These faceless corporations, openreach are still blaming covid for their poor service!

• Like 1

When he arrives he will probably want to plug into your master socket to test it regardless of what you say so best let him. While he's doing that you can tell him you called BT for an update and they said your line had been installed ok but wasn't working when they tested it. Say you're wondering if they had really finished it. You can say you saw someone working at xyz (where you know the missing bit is).

In our case I knew it wasn't connected at the top of the pole because the coil of wire we left at the bottom was still there. When I tried to explain he didn't want to listen so I let him plug in his test box to my master socket. Only when he realised it wasn't connected somewhere would he let me explain what I knew. 

• Like 1

We had several lots of £300 compensation over the incompetence of BT and Openreach. The first thing that happened, when I asked BT to connect the new property up with a line, was that they cut off our existing house line. This was just days after husband's cancer diagnosis leaving us completely incommunicado as the mobile signal is cr*p. After frantic rushing around waving said mobile in the air in pouring rain I managed to get a manager on the phone. This, I believe was due to us having fibre to the premises and that department being properly staffed. From then on it took a year of frequent phone calls and messages to get the new build connected. I found Facebook messaging them to be very effective. Not only do you get a human to plead with, but you have an easily readable dialogue for the next operator to read! In our case it was like a Greek tragedy and they were all truly horrified at what we had been through! Good Luck! Oh, and don't let them "cancel the complaint" when they make you a promise of action.

Edited by patp
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, patp said:

We had several lots of £300 compensation over the incompetence of BT and Openreach. The first thing that happened, when I asked BT to connect the new property up with a line, was that they cut off our existing house line. This was just days after husband's cancer diagnosis leaving us completely incommunicado as the mobile signal is cr*p. After frantic rushing around waving said mobile in the air in pouring rain I managed to get a manager on the phone. This, I believe was due to us having fibre to the premises and that department being properly staffed. From then on it took a year of frequent phone calls and messages to get the new build connected. I found Facebook messaging them to be very effective. Not only do you get a human to plead with, but you have an easily readable dialogue for the next operator to read! In our case it was like a Greek tragedy and they were all truly horrified at what we had been through! Good Luck! Oh, and don't let them "cancel the complaint" when they make you a promise of action.

Crikey that’s awful!

oddly enough- the bt Twitter team have been pretty helpful this weekend, took my number and actually called me back!

The final step is an email to the Openreach or BT CEO depending on who you have the order with, 

philip.jansen@bt.com

clive.selley@openreach.co.uk

It won't be read by either but there are interventions teams it gets diverted to who should resolve the problem.

The same team sorted out my first ever ADSL installation which got into a loop with the ISP and BT both saying the other was at fault with no data flow but all green lights. The fault was with BT but it took the interventions team to work that out and then get it fixed.

Edited by kommando
  • Like 1

I suspect the casual way he just pulled the wires in and connecting it, he was thinking "here we go again, they forgot to complete the install and I am left to pick up the pieces and make it right"

When we built this house I routed the cable in even doing the ducting under the road crossing and left the cable coiled up directly above the trunk cable running down the road, and because I was feeling really nice, I left a stake in the ground of the verge marking the exact spot.  I was staggered when an OR guy turned up with a shovel to dig the connection pit by hand.  He did thank me for making his job easy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2022 at 21:01, ProDave said:

When we built this house I routed the cable in even doing the ducting under the road crossing and left the cable coiled up directly above the trunk cable running down the road, and because I was feeling really nice, I left a stake in the ground of the verge marking the exact spot.  I was staggered when an OR guy turned up with a shovel to dig the connection pit by hand.  He did thank me for making his job easy.

Dave 

If you don't mind me asking, what cable did you run into the house and using what ducting please?

I am pouring slab on Monday and have tomorrow to run something in - We have a BT pole in the corner of our plot, about 40m from the corner of the house and the village we live in is fibre to cabinet only - They don't do fibre to house yet 😒

Cheers K

Edited by KTB

23 minutes ago, KTB said:

Dave 

If you don't mind me asking, what cable did you run into the house and using what ducting please?

I am pouring slab on Monday and have tomorrow to run something in - We have a BT pole in the corner of our plot, about 40m from the corner of the house and the village we live in is fibre to cabinet only - They don't do fibre to house yet 😒

Cheers K

Open Reach free issued a coil of steel wire armoured 6 pair phone cable and a length of grey Duct 52 for the purpose.  Only the section under the road crossing was under the duct, the rest was direct burried.

Some areas don't use the SWA cable and use a soft cable and duct the whole lot.

• Like 2

I think we used CW1326 cable with at least 2 pairs (eg 4 wires). We ran ours direct in the ground but I probably should have used a duct. We left a coil at the bottom of the pole long enough to reach the top with 5m spare for luck.

My electricity meter box is on the outside wall of my office with the CU in a walk in cupboard in the office. So we ran the  BT cable into my meter cabinet then into the office following much the same route as the meter tails. Not sure if its a good idea but works for us.

The office cupboard has our BT master socket, modem, 16 port hub, DECT phone base station, burglar alarm, TV distribution amp and more in it.

I think there is an (optional?) Building Regs Approved Document showing how its meant to go into the house via a duct.

• Like 1