Brick Plinth Detail

benben5555

Hi, 

Someone must know the answer to this on here because I've Googled the heck out of this but cannot find the answer anywhere. I'm in the process of planning out the brickwork for my new house. We are going with a projecting brick plinth detail for the bottom 6 / 7 courses with brick above. Where the brickwork steps in at the plinth detail there will be a 50mm overhang behind of the plinth detail that needs supporting somehow. How is this constructed? 

I've seen this in real life many times and there are plenty of houses within a short walk of where I live that have this detail so it must be straightforward but there doesn't seem to be any information about it online or any brick / block specials that would serve this purpose.

Is there someone who has done this in real life who can tell me how its done.

Thanks

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Cut blocks - brickie will have to break out the stihl saw and get cutting. 

That was my first thought, but given this is the base of the wall and fundamental to the stability and integrity of the wall is this really how it is done? 

Brickie used a standard mortar mix, used white cement and chucked some sharp sand in - can't remember the ratio but not a lot, think he used just over a single bulk bag of sharp sand for the entire house (280m2 for scale). Then he used a hand brush to do the perps - called it 'bagged off' effect, dunno if that's a brickie thing?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Brickie used a standard mortar mix, used white cement and chucked some sharp sand in - can't remember the ratio but not a lot, think he used just over a single bulk bag of sharp sand for the entire house (280m2 for scale). Then he used a hand brush to do the perps - called it 'bagged off' effect, dunno if that's a brickie thing?‍♂️

Perfect, I was thinking along the same lines. What is the name of your bricklayer? I'm not far from you, near Grantham and am looking for someone.

Shouldn’t there be at least 100mm bearing for the outer leaf at the top of the plinth? I’d love to see a section detail through the plinth @LA3222. I’d have thought it would have been better widening out from 100mm brick down rather than up.

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

Found a pic of mine getting done.

20200524_144131.jpg

We have something similar and for a few seconds I thought you had posted a picture of our place! But we only have one course of plinth bricks. 

5 hours ago, benben5555 said:

Perfect, I was thinking along the same lines. What is the name of your bricklayer? I'm not far from you, near Grantham and am looking for someone.

To be honest bud I wouldn't recommend him, he was OK but not without issue along the way and I would describe the work as 'it will do' rather than 'good'.

To be honest the only trade I have had that I would be happy to recommend is the spark whi is a really nice bloke and works hard/does a good job for the price.

Plasterer wasn't too shabby, joiners nah, roofer nah.

I've tended to persevere once started with a tradesmen purely to keep the build moving as there is only so much I have time to do and still be in this side of Xmas!

• Like 1

3” blocks are often used to back up the plinth detail ,which obviously reduces your cavity. If these are hard to source,backing up with bricks laid on edge is also an option. 
Finally,if reduced cavity is undesirable then you could use bricks cut in half lengthways to back up the outer skin. This would be easier to achieve than trying to cut blocks down. 

4 hours ago, LA3222 said:

To be honest bud I wouldn't recommend him, he was OK but not without issue along the way and I would describe the work as 'it will do' rather than 'good'.

To be honest the only trade I have had that I would be happy to recommend is the spark whi is a really nice bloke and works hard/does a good job for the price.

Plasterer wasn't too shabby, joiners nah, roofer nah.

I've tended to persevere once started with a tradesmen purely to keep the build moving as there is only so much I have time to do and still be in this side of Xmas!

Can I take his details anyway as from your photo I think his work looks OK. I've seen a lot worse on bricklayers websites where they are advertising their own work!

1 hour ago, benben5555 said:

Can I take his details anyway as from your photo I think his work looks OK. I've seen a lot worse on bricklayers websites where they are advertising their own work!

O drama bud, I will pm you his details.