Bonnet tiles setting out

Dee

So, started laying roof tiles on small hip dormer reusing plain concrete tile etc. 

Battons matched to original roof which has dictated the gauge on the dormer

The problem is this.... Got as far as only the second row of tiles and the bond is off... 1/3 and 2/3 (see image) 

Laying the tiles left to right and it works out to an exact number of full tiles. 

What am I doing wrong? 

DSC_0659.JPG

@PeterW. the hip batton is 25mm deep, same as the others. It looks deeper because the batton to the right had sunk, it's the same now I've corrected it ... What's the solution? 

@Onoff. Both roofs are the same angle 45 degrees 

The bonnets don't pitch up as much as the other roofs I've seen. 

I've devoured Gare, useful visual

Edited by Dee

So you may want to cut the bottom tile to make it "bond" correctly - are you sure they aren't Arris tiles on the corners..?? Bonnets tend to kick up more on the edges.

Picture below may help

Arris_Bonnet.JPG.0100f4ced68c172e20b2d4b28a5137b1.JPG

It looks to me that the gauge is set too tight for that bonnet.

I assume the bonnet is not original to your roof.

If your gauge is say 90mm, then imagine it was 100mm it would push the bonnet up, therefore moving the second row of tiles across.

This could be solved with a tile and a half, or by moving the bonnet up so the bottom of the bonnet would not be exactly inline with the row of tiles by say 10mm, or you might find you have enough variation in the width of the tiles to have a pile of wide and a pile of narrow tiles to overcome this, but more fiddly and time consuming

Have you got a double row (double cover / starter course) on the base line, not sure I can see it in the picture, without it the water will run through the gaps on the base row and into the fabric also the geometry alters quite a bit!

25 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Have you got a double row (double cover / starter course) on the base line, not sure I can see it in the picture, without it the water will run through the gaps on the base row and into the fabric also the geometry alters quite a bit!

Just realised why ALL our felt is rotten along the bottom and in turn the tops of the wodden facias thanks to this.

Lack of double row/double cover/starter course!  

:(

• Like 1

@PeterW

@MikeSharp01

Yes I have put a double row at the eves. 

I think I'm going to have to live with an uneven side lap as I all my very comprehensive search for reclaimed concrete plain tile and a half has resulted in a grand total of 11 tiles!!! 

Thanks for everyone input 

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just realised why ALL our felt is rotten along the bottom and in turn the tops of the wodden facias thanks to this.

Lack of double row/double cover/starter course!  

:(

Think that is easy to fix by a roofer inserting a something something membrane under the bottom 2ft or so.

Just had that done on a 40 year old roof.

F

• Like 1

@PeterW

I've set out 4 rows on the front face with each row decreasing by one tile as I progress upwards.... But it's getting gappy! And without tile and a half I'm left with a gap of about 65mm.a time cut to that would look bodged or not? 

Losing the will to live /tile! 

@bassanclan

You've spotted the deliberate mistake! 

I tried to do as I went on the last.. and only other hip....I did and I made a total fist of it. So this time I'm doing  it at the end in one go as it's such a small roof. 

If the roof was less steep (e.g. 35 degrees) then the bonnets would kick up more, but personally I think they look excellent how you have them in your picture, it means you are seeing more of the tile and less of the compo