Need new meter supply

DragsterDriver

Morning :)

I have a date for my electric connection, 9th November ? 

while Im living in a static and building the main house- any suggestions of a meter supplier and tariff? From reading on here octopus will be best once all the ashp and solar is up and running.

thanks 

Get your DNO's supplier to fit the meter, then switch to your chosen supplier, if anyone is accepting a switch at the moment.  The system is in turmoil so it boils down to who is actually willing to fit a meter for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Get your DNO's supplier to fit the meter, then switch to your chosen supplier, if anyone is accepting a switch at the moment.  The system is in turmoil so it boils down to who is actually willing to fit a meter for you.

i just asked the dno- they said they don’t have a supplier because ‘free market’. 

Who is your DNO?  Most, not all do have their own supplier but are not supposed to promote them above others.  e.g. here the DNO is SSE and SSE are a supplier trading here as Scottish Hydro.  Whichever you choose I think it has to be one of the big 6 to install a first meter.

• Like 1

I booked the meters for Plot 1 and Plot 3 at the start of September with EDF and was quoted a 6 week lead and given fitting dates of 8/10 and 11/10. Got 2 texts last week cancelling each in turn. Now quoted another 6 week lead time....

Just sent my moaning email to the MD - we will see if that achieves anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faz said:

I booked the meters for Plot 1 and Plot 3 at the start of September with EDF and was quoted a 6 week lead and given fitting dates of 8/10 and 11/10. Got 2 texts last week cancelling each in turn. Now quoted another 6 week lead time....

Just sent my moaning email to the MD - we will see if that achieves anything.

it’s only EDf offering anything around 6 weeks ?

I have to say full credit to Phillipe - MD Customers at EDF - he responded within 5 mins and bounced it to Geoff - Director for metering who responded again to all 60 seconds later.

Wouldn't like to be in the local EDF depot tomorrow morning! There is nothing that rolls faster downhill than a big ball of shite!         

A useful resource for anyone who needs it - CEO email addresses - E-mails address database lists to find contact details of Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and Managing Directors - free list - UK - US - Asia - customer services - customer care - boss - top man - top woman - complaints resolver

I have been doing this for years and it is surprising at the results you get.

• Haha 1

All I would say though is not to fire in at the Board level - if possible wrap in something complimentary first and the explain your issue.

Go down that route and it sometimes works wonders - you don't want to be percived as the angry nutter!

• Like 1

Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

The reason this takes so long is because a lot of things need to go on in the background before we can get your meter fitted when there isn't already one in the property. 

In order to install a new meter, we need to make sure you have an open point of supply to connect to. Do you currently have an MPAN/MPRN? 

—————We also need to be sure the Distributor has installed all of the mains pipes and wires from the grid to within the property's boundaries, ready for the meter to be installed. Has this been done yet?————-

Then, before we can install a meter, we need to bring your property onto supply with Octopus. This involves having a registration completed and accepted. The process usually takes at least 17 days for electricity and gas.

Then we'll be able to go to the meter operators and ask them for an appointment to come and fit your meter, how quickly this happens depends on engineer availability in your area. 

Please let us know if you have any questions about this. 

Kind regards,
Charlie ?

that doesn’t sound correct

8 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

It’s finding one that can do a meter before Xmas! 

All this meter fitting thing is weird. I'm being hounded all the time by SSE to have my existing meter changed to a SMART meter. Emails, phone calls telling me an engineer will be coming round on Monday unless I cancel it. So I cancel it online and then get asked when do I want it fitted. I told them that under no circumstances would I have my meter changed. Then it all starts again.

• Like 1

You can always tell what is in a big businesses best interest, even if you can't see how...

I am waiting for a simple yes or no to a simple answer and have been told it will take 3 months.

Edited by Marvin
Add info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gone West said:

All this meter fitting thing is weird. I'm being hounded all the time by SSE to have my existing meter changed to a SMART meter. Emails, phone calls telling me an engineer will be coming round on Monday unless I cancel it. So I cancel it online and then get asked when do I want it fitted. I told them that under no circumstances would I have my meter changed. Then it all starts again.

My bill at my previous house went sky high overnight when we had one fitted.

but yeah- this whole thing seems a minefield 

Well, after my email to the EDF Managing Director yesterday and his note to the Director of Metering a cascade of shite has clearly rolled down throughout that entire organisation clearly landing on the head of whoever was causing me problems - install date improved from 19 November to Friday this week.

Happy days.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

Well, after my email to the EDF Managing Director yesterday and his note to the Director of Metering a cascade of shite has clearly rolled down throughout that entire organisation clearly landing on the head of whoever was causing me problems - install date improved from 19 November to Friday this week.

Happy days.

Just shows how people are taking the piss blaming covid and working from home. 

The thing that worries me is that this attitude is here to stay. Have you noticed that language has moved of from the 'it's COVID innit' comment to 'due to the current situation'.

I can almost guarantee that you are going to be hearing 'due to the current situation' in 10 years time.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

The thing that worries me is that this attitude is here to stay. Have you noticed that language has moved of from the 'it's COVID innit' comment to 'due to the current situation'.

I can almost guarantee that you are going to be hearing 'due to the current situation' in 10 years time.....

it’s not good, working from home is ideal for some occupations- but definitely not en masse for others. Standards of service are through the floor.

• Like 1