Upstairs heating costing a fortune

jayc89

We have a 32kw Baxi system boiler powering the downstairs UFH, upstairs radiators and unvented cylinder for hot water. Temp is set to 65 degrees, mainly to ensure the hot water is above 60.

UFH supplies 3 zones and 6 loops (approx 550m of pipe), the manifold is mixing to 45 degrees (as per heat loss calcs for our old house) and very rarely comes on, a couple of hours in the morning to bring it back up to temp and maybe a an hour in the evening, occasionally.

The upstairs radiator stat is programmed at 22 degrees between 06:00-09:00 and then 16:00-21:00 and it's pretty much always on during these times. All radiators (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) have been balanced with a target delta-T of 15 degrees (60 degree flow and 45 degree return) and it certainly gets warm up there but it seems to struggle to keep the heat.

I'm guessing we're losing heat as fast as we're generating it upstairs, but I'm not sure why there's such a difference between the UFH working really well downstairs and the radiators working pretty poorly upstairs.

Is there anything else I can try other than the standard, upgrade windows, try reduce any draughts (not that I can find any) etc?

Derp. I should have included that. Rockwool between and over the joists - approx 300mm in total. The stuff over the joists looks in good condition, the stuff between the joists is looking a little worse for wear, I have no idea how long it's been up there for, so we could replace/add more, but I surely it would cause such a drastic loss of heat?

Draughts (aka airtightness)?

If not an issue, lift the wool and check how much light can you see. I had massive gaps around light fittings, around chimney and where all the pipes use to go. Not to mention the attic hatch itself. Oh and skeilings with 0 insulation, right above the rads, to dispose of the heat asap....

Just now, tonyshouse said:

What is your construction, dot and dab?

Wet (lime) plaster straight on to brick (solid brick walls, no insulation). It's pretty thick too, over an inch in place. The lime's been on for so long I think the stuff's turned back to stone! The walls are by no means cold to touch.

54 minutes ago, Olf said:

Draughts (aka airtightness)?

If not an issue, lift the wool and check how much light can you see. I had massive gaps around light fittings, around chimney and where all the pipes use to go. Not to mention the attic hatch itself. Oh and skeilings with 0 insulation, right above the rads, to dispose of the heat asap....

The uPVC windows are old so won't be helping. I've been up in the loft and the insulation all looks well laid. There's a local £99 top-up deal running at the moment so I'm inclined to get them out, just for the free survey...

9 hours ago, jayc89 said:

Wet (lime) plaster straight on to brick (solid brick walls, no insulation). It's pretty thick too, over an inch in place. The lime's been on for so long I think the stuff's turned back to stone! The walls are by no means cold to touch.

There is the prob. depending on how much space you are williong to lose could batten, insulate and board or use celotex backed plasterboard.