Jump to content

100mm step from house extension into store


Recommended Posts

How would this be achieved?

 

The BCO has asked the architect to amend our plans to provide a 100mm step down from the new extension house part, into the store part of the garage.

 

The architect said simply "ensure a step is provided"

 

Wouldn't having a step of 100mm mean having the slab in the store 100mm lower than the slab in the house?

 

If so, would the drawings/specification need to be altered to change the slab foundation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, Paul Alan said:

Wouldn't having a step of 100mm mean having the slab in the store 100mm lower than the slab in the house?

 

Yes but..

 

This rule is to stop petrol from a car leaking into the house under a door between the two. The rule was amended years ago so that no step is required if the floor of the garage slopes away from the door.

 

Perhaps ask the BCO if you could you put the step between store and car parts of the garage? That would appear to meet the regulations and keep the floor in the store the same height as the house. The floor of the store woukd need to be concrete so it doesnt allow fuel under itself.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

If the extension is part store and part garage, you would have the store bit level with the rest of the house, and the garage bit 100mm (or more) step down from the store for reasons already mentioned.

Yes it is, but its only 2150 wide and 3128 deep. I doubt we could fit our car in it. Especially  after "storing" bins and bikes etc, although I realise that if we moved out then someone else could use it for the car and that needs to be considered.

 

Would that mean then we should dig an extra 100mm down in the footings under the slab of the store? or would it not need as much insulation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

I would have imagined it was something to do with liquids. Would a doorway drain heading off to the outside suffice? 

 

A 100mm step isn't very nice for WC users or buggies or anyone doing heavy deliveries. 

I'll have to ask that, could be an easy solution?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Temp said:

 

 

Yes but..

 

This rule is to stop petrol from a car leaking into the house under a door between the two. The rule was amended years ago so that no step is required if the floor of the garage slopes away from the door.

 

Perhaps ask the BCO if you could you put the step between store and car parts of the garage? That would appear to meet the regulations and keep the floor in the store the same height as the house. The floor of the store woukd need to be concrete so it doesnt allow fuel under itself.

 

 

thanks, it will be concrete specification the same as the house 450mm deep overall.

 

Another thing that I want to know is the opening to the garage will be lower then the DPC, how does that work when constructing the footings up to DPC ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Paul Alan said:

Yes it is, but its only 2150 wide and 3128 deep. I doubt we could fit our car in it. Especially  after "storing" bins and bikes etc, although I realise that if we moved out then someone else could use it for the car and that needs to be considered.

 

Would that mean then we should dig an extra 100mm down in the footings under the slab of the store? or would it not need as much insulation?

The garage part does not need any insulation.  So you don't need to dig deeper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The garage part does not need any insulation.  So you don't need to dig deeper.

Thanks, I've just looked and the drawing's don't state anywhere about how the floor is to be constructed in the store, I have just assumed its the same all over?

 

I've just emailed the architect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...