Soil pipe across neighbour land broken by them

ashthekid

@ashthekid They are wrong. It is NOT a private drain following the changes in 2011. On this page it details the position on ownership before and after 2011..

https://www.lyonsdavidson.co.uk/whose-drain-anyway-changes-private-sewer-ownership-pipeline/

Your situation is detailed at position "3" on the "before" diagram, and "4" on the "after" diagram. 

I don't think this can be any clearer.

Edited by Temp

11 hours ago, ashthekid said:

If the pipework in question is considered a “private drain” by the neighbour with what they have been told, then who’s responsibility is it?

And if anything goes wrong with it over time?

You are putting too much faith in what the neighbour tells you, his builder just wants to finish the job with a maximum profit.

It is time for you to start quoting statutory law at the neighbour.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I did unfortunately once employ a  groundworker subby who's digger man  ignored our designed gradients and put it in much steeper.. He knew better than us apparently. Expensive.

There is a common misconception that steeper is better. But make the pipe too steep, and the water runs away faster than it can wash the solids down, leaving them behind. This has the obvious potential to cause blockages.

Just now, Stewpot said:

There is a common misconception that steeper is better. But make the pipe too steep, and the water runs away faster than it can wash the solids down, leaving them behind. This has the obvious potential to cause blockages.

As I understand it, this used to be the advice but this has now shifted and there's no problem with having a steeper fall in the pipe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andy said:

no problem with having a steeper fall in the pipe.

That seems to be correct in principle, though the change was never flagged up, and I had not noticed. I have just searched Doc H and see 2 mentions of maximum gradient.

1. in branch connections ie the short pipe from the wc or other appliance, there are maximum gradients. see table 2.

2, clause 2.13:  changes of direction or gradient should be minimised.   I assume this means don't do it unless there is no other choice.

Table 6 is interesting too. It implies that the flush of a wc is essential to keeping the drain clean.

I think we need to work from the published tables wherever possible.

I need to read this lovely document again I think.

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

Thought it depended also on the diameter of the pipe...

It does - these are for a 110mm pipe.  If you use a 160mm pipe the minimum fall doubles to 1:160.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

That seems to be correct in principle

Have to say I'm surprised, as physics hasn't changed, and I would have thought that the lower volume of flush these days exacerbated the problem.

There is a video somewhere of stuff getting flushed down transparent pipes, so you can see what happens. At a certain gradient, it seems that a build up of solids is a problem. We also learn that there is a British Standard Turd[1] used in WC design - one of my favourite pieces of useless information that I like to mention at inappropriate times.

[1] Actually, a piece of plasticine, or similar.

2 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Have to say I'm surprised, as physics hasn't changed, and I would have thought that the lower volume of flush these days exacerbated the problem.

There is a video somewhere of stuff getting flushed down transparent pipes, so you can see what happens. At a certain gradient, it seems that a build up of solids is a problem. We also learn that there is a British Standard Turd[1] used in WC design - one of my favourite pieces of useless information that I like to mention at inappropriate times.

[1] Actually, a piece of plasticine, or similar.

Correct. 5% sweetcorn and 95% modelling clay mix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

That seems to be correct in principle

I meant correct that the reg's have no maximum gradient, not that the physics have changed. I agree that it is better to use moderate gradients or very steep, and avoid the grades where separation occurs. 

The reg's do say somewhere to maximise the radius at changes, and that will help it all to move along together. 

Minimum gradient is good for costs and keeping trenches high, but has the risk of any settlement causing a dip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

That seems to be correct in principle, though the change was never flagged up, and I had not noticed.

Indeed, shades of Animal Farm don't you think?

Four legs good, two legs bad.

Four legs good, two legs better.

Shallow sewer gradient good, steep gradient bad.

became...

Shallow sewer gradient good, steep gradient... why not!