Window arch formers

Morning guys,

Looking for advice on arch formers if possible.

We were originally going to use standard plastic arch formers for our ground floor windows but after choosing clotted cream windows the only way to colour match would be spraying/ painting the plastic formers which I didn’t like the idea of.

I then found a picture of a house with full brick formers which looked great so trying to replicate it.

Issue we have is getting the arches uniform as there is no former to work from.

Has anyone had this issue?

Only work around I ca think of is the decent width timber templates mate that can be removed after the arch is formed then infill the lower bricks after?

This is the looks we are trying to achieve 

ABF88-FBE-B64-D-4294-A0-B3-E90-E8737-CE5
check my resolution

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My bricklayer made his own former out of wood which was removed afterwards, but we didn’t infill with brick below it, just got the windows added too like below.

image.jpg

I really like the recessed look.  Did you make the inner leaf opening bigger to get the window to fit behind the brickwork?  Did you use a cavity closer?

32 minutes ago, Dan1983 said:

That looks really nice.

Did the window company provide the correct colour insert or is the insert part of the window?

26 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

really like the recessed look.  Did you make the inner leaf opening bigger to get the window to fit behind the brickwork?  Did you use a cavity closer?

I had the windows made locally, and asked for a 120mm top piece added. The windows are fitted “check reveals” style, I.e. the windows are fitted from the inside against the brickwork and slightly larger than the opening with expanding foam tape to seal them to the brickwork. The inner blockwork skin appature is larger again to enable the windows to fit through and angled, cottage style, which gives more light into the room, the cavity was closed by plasterboard.

image.jpg

41 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Weren't you bothered about just plasterboard to close your cavity @joe90? What's supporting behind it where it meets the widow

Where it meets the window I machined an angled timber fillet, screwed to the window frame and plasterboard screwed to that! Expanding foam around this area to mitigate any cold bridge.

This is what we did... Arched lintels with brick slips. Pointed up after installation.

Some windows..

1318457778_nov1.jpg.d5d2e2bdc83ab93989aa1e7eef510871.jpg

One or two and front door were double arch..

image.thumb.png.9360dfda47eee07e4483b400b1096027.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

How did u fix/support window frames?

Sat on brick cills with Stainless angle brackets and screws , put foam tape between brick and frame, squished to provide seal, expanding foam around (more airtightness). Very pleased with the results.

• Like 1

Looking to lay the soldiers over the arch template, them remove template and in fill with brick.

Looking at possibly getting the infill bricks machined rather than using straight cuts but will depend on cost

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking much better with proper former template!

Still worried about how the infill bricks will turn out but will wait and see!

I think I’m probably being quite picky but end angles could have been better on the small side windows (not shown) I’m probably asking too much when dealing with bricks and disk cutters.

Had a look at the arches on our rental property and they are not perfect either so think I’m just looking at them too closely

72-D53103-48-C0-4-BDF-AD41-547-F23-EEAA2
BCF07832-7586-4-BCA-8-EFD-803160345-A81.
9-D621094-F6-E7-42-C7-B5-E6-78-BF257-EE5