Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

could cut some of the insulated blocks

Yes that will work. Again close the top of structurally by ramming in dryish  mortar. (Dry mortar barely shrinks).

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

It’s a terrible detail

They happen esp at interfaces like this. Sort it and it isn't terrible any more.

Are you infilling against the webs of the steel?

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

So do we get to help solve it?

I’ve sought professional advice and I am being advised and supported.  It’s also currently with their structural engineer.

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress being made with our build problems. I will post a more full summary after we are out of the woods. 

In the meantime I’ve built my headworks chamber for the borehole. First time I laid any blocks before. Firstly can you spot the obvious problem I’ve caused myself. Secondly what’s the best way to protect the blocks from water ingress? I intend backfilling the ground around it to reduce the visible height of it. I have a drainage hole so don’t need it to be 100% waterproof. 

7EFB69DC-3305-4121-A6CE-91655C246202.thumb.jpeg.f72033bb925473526cec24395b055ba3.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Secondly what’s the best way to protect the blocks from water ingress? I intend backfilling the ground around it to reduce the visible height of it. I have a drainage hole so don’t need it to be 100% waterproof. 

Blackjack?

• 2 weeks later...

Been a lot going on. Thank heavens for buildhub is all I’ll say for now. But we are out of the woods! I could write a book about the worst aspects of self-building! More to follow once a few things are squared away. 

However roof is on! 

7601DB7F-DE77-431E-8BE8-76876874E8A7.jpeg

E0DDB09F-3455-4682-B6F9-7BAA7D43F011.jpeg

• Like 2

I did have a small win yesterday. After seeing the roof finished I decided I didn’t want to take the SVP up through it. Fortunately I had thought about this before I built the garage so when we were doing the groundwork I had a popup fitted in the garage slab connected to our sewer. I spoke with BC yesterday and they said it’s fine for me to take the SVP up through the garage roof. Therefore the roof will be completely clean, and no airtightness ruining holes and leaks to worry about. I could even take the pipe up the back of the garage hiding it from sight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

But we are out of the woods! I could write a book about the worst aspects of self-building!

Do! Would make a great read to put the rest of us off 😀

Edited by Sparrowhawk
  • Haha 1

A long book. But summary would be short. “The World is full of incompetent negligent muppets. Your job as a self-builder is to DiY then you own all the mistakes and/or avoid the muppets”. 

• Like 2

The svp doesn't have to go through a roof at all. It could be down the garden just popping up to a height where smells would disappear.

Or outside a gable end to above the eaves.

Bonus points from me for avoiding holes in the roof. The trouble we go to, to keep the rain out, then along come trades wanting to break the seal.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

The svp doesn't have to go through a roof at all. It could be down the garden just popping up to a height where smells would disappear.

Or outside a gable end to above the eaves.

Bonus points from me for avoiding holes in the roof. The trouble we go to, to keep the rain out, then along come trades wanting to break the seal.

i mentioned this to my BCO and she said that the SVP should really go out the roof. she then told me about slate vents which means it's basically hidden from site. it's all membraned and taped internally so no/minimal air leakage as well. all in all a decent solution. obviously wouldn't work with the standing seam metal roofs though!

9 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

she said that the SVP should really go out the roof

Normally that is the only option on a standard site without much land. It basically had to vent without causing nuisance. If it works for you then that is fine.

The other decision I’ve made is to not put the PV panels on the roof and instead to put them in the garden. The roof is so nice I don’t want ugly PV panels on it plus I can’t stomach any more damage to our building and it seems that every follow on trade breaks something 🙄

Garage was finally finished today too. Still negotiating the compensation. 

Edited by Kelvin

22 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Normally that is the only option on a standard site without much land. It basically had to vent without causing nuisance. If it works for you then that is fine.

I could take it up through the dormer flat roof which is what I would have done if the garage wasn’t an option. It’s much easier and less intrusive to get it through there and seal it up again. 

Do PTPs have an SVP venting option? 

Edited by Kelvin

Tomorrow is screed pour day. Yay! Guys came today to set the levels. All fine. Have been fretting about it as we had to significantly change floor build up and thresholds on the fly due yet another balls up by Heb Homes. 🙄

26 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Tomorrow is screed pour day. Yay! Guys came today to set the levels. All fine. Have been fretting about it as we had to significantly change floor build up and thresholds on the fly due yet another balls up by Heb Homes. 🙄

Good luck!