Looking for a better electricity supply deal

Electricty only, no gas here.

We are looking to move our plot away from ebico's no standing charge rate to a more "normal" electricity supply deal.

Now that the big 6 have all put up their prices it seems a good tome to look around.

Best I have found yet is Flow Energy. 28.8p per day standing charge, 14.67p per unit, fixed until April 2018

This is for North Scotland where we are hit with a higher distribution charge than other parts of the UK.

Anyone know a better rate?

Wow that's a good price.

I'm stuck on the sign up as I need my meter serial number and I can't be bothered to walk up to the plot in the rain with my head torch to find it. It will wait until the morning.

On 17/03/2017 at 19:32, MikeSharp01 said:

How can there be this much meat in the game with price variations like that!?

I thought smaller companies were exempt from some levies made on the Big 6.

My current deal (half of a dual fuel - First Connect First Fixed 2017v3 Electricity) is:

Elec Standing: 14.42p/day.

Elec Unit: 11.016p per kWh.

East Midlands area. 

Iresa is my cheapest charge offer via MSE Cheap Energy Club, at

Elec Standing: 12.72 p/day.

Elec Unit: 10.9p per kWh.

But they are 25% more on the gas/unit than current, and are not stellar in reviews for customer service.

Tariff: "IRESA Flex 4 12 month Fixed Direct Debit (Dual Fuel Single Rate)"

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Interestingly, Iresa are now cheaper than SSE (SSE haven't increased our tariff yet), whereas a few months ago they weren't.  I've just checked and they are now quoting a standing charge of £0.156/day and a unit price of £0.114/kWh for us, making them a bit cheaper overall than SSE (SSE are charging £0.148/day and £0.144/kWh at the moment).

Whether it's worth switching to save a few pounds a year I'm not sure, as recently SSE customer service seems to have improved markedly (they were a bit of a shambles we found, as our FIT is with them).  I'm not sure what value to put on customer service, TBH, but I think I'd probably pay a few pounds a year more to have a supplier that didn't need chasing all the time to correct their own errors.

I'm on Ebico who are an SSE reseller for electricity as I want a no standing charge tariff but when the time comes I will most likely move to SSE for the house tariff as they are one of the better ones ...

Ok now that is odd as Robin Hood are a reseller ..! So that will be margin on margin.

They used to have the old boots printing generation unit in Nottingham too IIRC. Someone said it was part of Notts City Council* but I would need to check 

*wholly owned and not for profit.. that could be interesting ..!!

Edited by PeterW
NCC ownership check

Sorry I have expanded the thread into dual fuel. Feeling guilty so I did a Single Fuel search.

* Single Fuel

Running them through my process (MSE Cheap Energy Club) the best Elec Only deals seem to be SO Energy for Good Customer Service and Good Price, or Scottish Power for Good Price and Poorer Service, with possibly NPower also for Good Price / Poor Service (but I had awful problems with them seizing next door's supply by mistake for months).

These are the numbers for my area Elec Only - "Elec Only SO energy Fixed for 12 Months". Cheap Exit Fees.

Electricity standing charge (p/day)  18.90
Electricity unit rate (p/kWh)  12.16

An address in Ardross gave me:

Electricity standing charge (p/day) 18.90
Electricity unit rate (p/kWh) 13.93

Cashback appears to be marginal for all of them, but some of the comparison services offer their own £30 or so for Quidco / Topcashback.

* Duel Fuel

Looking around, of the fairly biggies First Connect are offering £90 cashback on long-term (3 year) contracts for Dual via Top Cashback if you want longterm. Or a £50 cashback for a 12 month fix at a competitive price:

"Home Services Fixed May 2018 Online" - Dual Fuel

Elec

Unit rate 13.859p per kWh
Standing charge 14.35p per day

Gas

Unit rate 3.056p per kWh
Standing charge 14.22p per day

They are pretty competitive and I have been happy with their service, but as an existing customer I do not qualify for the cashback, so I am probably switching to Flow Energy.

Tip: Get another 1-2% off by paying with a credit or Amex card well in advance and getting them to reduce your DD to almost nothing. Or 5% for the right Amex Cashback in its intro period. Need to trust the company to stay solvent for no sleepless nights. Slightly hardcore if you have average bills.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
Updated due to finger trouble.

Below is a deal I have been offered, however Iresa have a poor ratings, spend 2hrs getting thru on phone on FridayO.o

Tariff Name Electricity: IRESA Flex 4 12 month Fixed Direct Debit (Dual Fuel Single Rate)
Gas: IRESA Flex 4 12 month Fixed Direct Debit (Dual Fuel Single Rate)
Rate Per kWh Electricity: 11.000 p
Gas: 2.792 p

Daily

Charge

Electricity: 18.010 p
   Gas: 16.530 p
Exit Fee Electricity: £ 0.000
Gas: £ 0.000

Looking around, I seem to be able to save about £8-10/month over the new price for a 12 month online fix tariff by First Direct (pre their 9.7% price rise coming in on 1st April), via IRESA, SO Energy, Flow Energy.

I am happy with the service, so rather than flap around with a switch and Meter numbers and so on I have just asked them to match the same £40-50 cashback deal on offer to new switchers via Quidco as an (I hope) easy to accept lollipop.

(Update: they said No unless I go through Quidco as a new customer. Need to reflect as I can see that getting tangled up in tracking verification).

Current Options:

12 month fix: 853 ((Iresa), 901 (So Energy), 972 (First Utility)

18 month fix: 946 (Flow Energy), 1045 (First Utility)

3 year fix: 1087 (First Utility)

That 3 year fix is tempting given possible inflation.

Update: In the end went for the 3 year fix.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I don't understand what's going on with our EBICO supply at the moment. I have had three letters now. The first selling me it was transferring to Robin Hod energy and the price was not going up and fixed for 12 months. Then a letter to say it's going up.  Then another letter telling me nothing is changing except the name. A bit of a shambles and if I was staying with that I would be phoning them to ask what the b%^$£%$ hell is going on.

Ebico served us well when we were using almost no electricity to save paying a standing charge but it's now time to move to a proper arrangement so I will let you know how it goes with IRESA.  I suspect all will be well until we get a problem...... We are still in the "cooling off period"

So I changed from Eon (meter install) to Ebico about 4 weeks ago and had the final bill from eon... estimated final bill of 550 units, even though I gave Ebico / SSE the correct reads which would have been for 5 units  so no idea how they have got the random number they have...! SSE are blaming eon, eon are blaming SSE so I've just hit the dispute button...

I gave SSE meter readings (on request) last week.  Today I had a meter reader around from SSE.  I asked him why he was reading the meters, when they'd been read by him last September and SSE had asked me to take readings last week.  He said that this happened all the time and that no one ever seemed to coordinate things within SSE.......................

• 1 month later...

@Stones How ar you getting on with Iresa?

they were supposed to take over my supply on 14th April, and I submitted a meter reading on line on that day.  I have just had a bill from SSE up to a few days ago and on querying it, they say they have not had any notification of a change of supplier or a final reading from them.

I have just submitted a support ticket.......