Sloped drive/ gates job.

zoothorn

20 hours ago, joe90 said:

Well done zoot . Looks really good ?

Hi John. Problem.

Progressing more today 2nd hole dug, post in all ready, stones around base, braced etc..

So I pour buckets of water in... & water dissapears, like theres a big plug hole. 3 full buckets.. just disappearing.

Shoot. What do I do?

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

Chuck the post mix in, put the water in. 

go make a brew, couple of chocolate digestives 

go back, hang gate. 

Well I sort of did this.. but i just still cant get this put water on powder thing, i mean without mixing it.

So i mixed it, but thank god it didnt FOff once some powder in. Great. Done. Weird stuff (when you have your bics, i have a mild panic attack. E x p e r i e n c e).

Thanks. Last thing to scratch my head over, is the large gap I have under my join of gates. Meaning my rod stopper whatnot, going into the ground, on the bigger 8' gate only ( i think is all i need? )seems  like its gonna struggle to reach more than an inch into ground.

And does it go into a concrete small whatnot...? IE do i need to dig out a bit, concrete it, put my finger in to make a hole & lie outside all night with the owls?

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Meaning my rod stopper whatnot, going into the ground, on the bigger 8' gate only ( i think is all i need? )seems  like its gonna struggle to reach more than an inch into ground.

Your what ..??? You mean the pin …?

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

And does it go into a concrete small whatnot...? IE do i need to dig out a bit, concrete it, put my finger in to make a hole & lie outside all night with the owls?

Got a length of plastic conduit ..?? Thin stuff just big enough to fit over the pin ..?? Dig a hole in the right place, put plastic conduit over the pin and place in the ground then concrete it in as a sleeve. Then when it’s set, CGT the plastic off level with the concrete. Job done. 

20 hours ago, PeterW said:

Your what ..??? You mean the pin …?

Got a length of plastic conduit ..?? Thin stuff just big enough to fit over the pin ..?? Dig a hole in the right place, put plastic conduit over the pin and place in the ground then concrete it in as a sleeve. Then when it’s set, CGT the plastic off level with the concrete. Job done. 

Hi Peter.. yes pin! Ive got just about enough/ 2" to go in ground. It has a metal 2" tube ( & small  mystery plate w' hole in middle in packet).. so I assume this is set in the concrete thingy area Ive got to do as last job.

Anyway, all that time measuring until my brain hurt seems to have paid off:

9B9E94DA-FDAD-4FCE-8932-2E502E0A8C64.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Peter.. yes pin! Ive got just about enough/ 2" to go in ground. It has a metal 2" tube ( & small  mystery plate w' hole in middle in packet).. so I assume this is set in the concrete thingy area Ive got to do as last job.

Anyway, all that time measuring until my brain hurt seems to have paid off:

9B9E94DA-FDAD-4FCE-8932-2E502E0A8C64.jpeg

That looks fantastic! ???

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

That looks fantastic! ???

Cheers Onoff. I think my most 'pro' level of work yet tbh.. Im getting a bit better. 

Could you say what to do with the centre ground pin recess concrete bit? I have a 2" tube & a plate left in packet.. but Im scratching my hesd looking at them. I realise tube goes upright set in ground only.

thanks zoot

43 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Cheers Onoff. I think my most 'pro' level of work yet tbh.. Im getting a bit better. 

Could you say what to do with the centre ground pin recess concrete bit? I have a 2" tube & a plate left in packet.. but Im scratching my hesd looking at them. I realise tube goes upright set in ground only.

thanks zoot

Got a photo of the tube and plate?

I'd be casting those into a little concrete plinth set level with the ground. However, you want to avoid sharp edges on that bit of concrete or it'll rip the side out of your car tyre! 

Knock up a bottomless, little wooden box with some bead round the top to create a chamfer maybe. 

Do take care if bending down, weeding, hedge trimming etc that you don't smack your head on those studs sticking out of the posts. 

Are they M16 (needed a 24mm spanner)?

If so I've some plastic nut covers that might help stick on the end, with a nut, I could post you. 

Tbh I don't know if it's normal to cut them down?

@zoothorn I gather from what you've mentioned in the past that some of the folks around you are less than friendly. I don't know if you are aware that you can get anti-lift locks for those types of gates. We fitted them on ours at our last house, because the local farmer said he had 'lost' some gates that way.

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/product/sc_271200bm/anti-lift-device-for-timber-field-gates-inc.-padlock-galvanized-v

Edited by Gone West

26 minutes ago, Gone West said:

@zoothorn I gather from what you've mentioned in the past that some of the folks around you are less than friendly. I don't know if you are aware that you can get anti-lift locks for those types of gates. We fitted them on ours at our last house, because the local farmer said he had 'lost' some gates that way.

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/product/sc_271200bm/anti-lift-device-for-timber-field-gates-inc.-padlock-galvanized-v

Hi GW thanks for that. We thankfully have no theft 'proper' here, & my one creep couple, altho pinched something from my car in the drive ( whilst i was in , only a matter of yds away/ my gaze averted from drive area working on my extention build work) I know wouldn't have nerve to pinch my small gate, esp with 2 police visits on my behalf ( tho the harrasment continues without change. 4.5 yrs of it).

Kind of you to suggest it. Zh

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Got a photo of the tube and plate?

I'd be casting those into a little concrete plinth set level with the ground. However, you want to avoid sharp edges on that bit of concrete or it'll rip the side out of your car tyre! 

Knock up a bottomless, little wooden box with some bead round the top to create a chamfer maybe. 

Hi Onoff. Yes here.. i get the idea of the mini plinth level with ground. I need to find/ follow a clip tho, as its not registering fully with me.

56FE9BDB-DB9D-4646-8536-24E785E863D9.jpeg

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn that looks spot on ..! Well done ..!

Post a photo of the last bits and we will see if we can help

Hi Peter.. must say Im pretty chuffed. The brown posts look like hardwood maybe, but will fade soon/ gotta keep painting to keep up the charade..

Just put a pic of the plate & tube/ last bits. 

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

Or drill a hole in the pin and put a nut and bolt through (really tight).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Yes here.. i get the idea of the mini plinth level with ground. I need to find/ follow a clip tho, as its not registering fully with me.

the plate is for screwing to whatever in on the floor (paving slab etc), the metal tube is for burying in concrete. I always find the hole fills with crud so use a plastic sleeve surrounded by cement but much deeper than needed, it will fill up with “stuff” but you can use a long drill to remove it once in a while.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

the plate is for screwing to whatever in on the floor (paving slab etc), the metal tube is for burying in concrete. I always find the hole fills with crud so use a plastic sleeve surrounded by cement but much deeper than needed, it will fill up with “stuff” but you can use a long drill to remove it once in a while.

Ive got pretty good at getting significant wads of fluff out my bellybutton John now Ive just turned 5 0 ( shock horror ) so I should be quite adept at this. 

Tbh its finding an ideal bit of placcy tube.. not quite so easy for me, but I do get your point/ the idea. Thanks, zoot