I love Megabad

One tip that we discovered with Megabad (and the other suppliers): they offer a 2% discount for direct funds xfer compared to CCard.  So you will probably get a better deal by using an exchange broker to do the xfer.  We use Moneycorp -- but that's because I already use them quite a lot to cover our EU expenses in Greece.  

2 hours ago, TerryE said:

One tip that we discovered with Megabad (and the other suppliers): they offer a 2% discount for direct funds xfer compared to CCard.  So you will probably get a better deal by using an exchange broker to do the xfer.  We use Moneycorp -- but that's because I already use them quite a lot to cover our EU expenses in Greece.  

Yes, currency transfer is the best method - first time is a bit of a leap in the dark but I've used them lots now and even done a reverse transfer for a Megabad refund!

Read my post earlier to understand the sequencing and ensure you don't get caught out with fluctuations in the ex rate.

We found Reuters good for recommending additional products, however we did get caught out over the Geberit system - missed out the bolts that fix the frames to the wall (had to buy on Amazon in a last minute panic) and we also screwed up on the flush plates, only buying the insert initially and then realising that we needed the tile in box also. It was too late for two of the bathrooms as we'd already tiled, but exchanging them was easy and we got the clip over variety for those two rooms. They seem to have discontinued this two part system now

Managed to get it right for the ensuite and downstairs WC which just got finished this week when the splash back glass was installed. Wasn't able to get a tight fit around the flush plate as internal cuts in glass have 6mm min radius - could have done it as four pieces of glass I suppose to get a sharper edge. Anyway, I sourced a matching silicone for around the pan and flush plate - fairly invisible unless you get super close.

15589768_10155010981297952_2171744009914124806_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Love that glass wall. Is it just a custom cut sheet of toughened glass with colour behind or something special?

Bog standard 6mm splashback glass - we got our kitchen firm to supply it with the rest of the kitchen splashback. Was about £700 - probably not that much more expensive than tiles + labour.

The cutouts around the pan and flush plate are not as sharp as I'd like as they're used to something covering them (such as a socket) but the coloured silicone I used does a pretty good job of covering them up and you don't see it unless close. 

That is a distinctive bathroom colour :-).

Back on topic.

@TerryE

One tip that we discovered with Megabad (and the other suppliers): they offer a 2% discount for direct funds xfer compared to CCard.  So you will probably get a better deal by using an exchange broker to do the xfer. 

A couple of requests for more detail if I may.

Does that lose you any protection? eg Section 75 or the Debit Card equivalent?

(My bank explicitly states when asked that protections that come with the account for card payments do not apply to eg BACS.)

Are there any currency exchange charges?

Ferdinand

46 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

That is a distinctive bathroom colour :-).

Back on topic.

@TerryE

A couple of requests for more detail if I may.

Does that lose you any protection? eg Section 75 or the Debit Card equivalent?

(My bank explicitly states when asked that protections that come with the account for card payments do not apply to eg BACS.)

Ferdinand

You have no protection - it's a cash transfer.

CurrencyFair, who I have used most charge, €3 per transfer.

So here's the breakdown of what's in that WC (requested on PM):

Read previous posts for details, best to compare 2-3 sites and then move forward on the one that's cheapest on the day (including shipping fees & discounts). Also note that not everyone has everything in stock at the same time, we prioritised first fix items such as Hansgrohe iBoxes and Geberit cisterns.

WC

http://www.reuter-shop.com/villeroy-boch-subway-wall-mounted-washdown-toilet-l-56-w-37-cm-white-with-ceramicplus-a113085.php

Seat

http://www.reuter-shop.com/villeroy-boch-subway-toilet-seat-white-with-quickrelease-and-soft-close-a113079.php

Cistern

http://www.reuter-shop.com/geberit-duofix-frame-for-wall-mounted-toilet-112-cm-with-concealed-cistern-up320-a33278.php

Forgot to order these and had to get in a rush from Amazon

https://www.reuter-shop.com/geberit-duofix-wall-fastening-set-a34489.php

Flush plate (This looks like the whole unit, when we ordered it was just the insert, and we had to buy the frame separately - the clip over options are a lot less hassle.)

https://www.reuter-shop.com/geberit-sigma60-flush-plate-for-dual-flush-mechanism-flush-with-wall-brushed-chrome-a569787.php

Sink - only got this as the room is so narrow (900mm) so this was the only way we could meet regs.

http://www.reuter-shop.com/villeroy-boch-subway-20-handwashbasin-w-63-d-355-cm-basin-right-white-with-ceramicplus-without-overflow-a317305.php

Towel Rail for sink

http://www.reuter-shop.com/villeroy-boch-subway-20-towel-rail-a317316.php

Cupboard for under sink (will go on post regs signoff).

http://www.reuter-shop.com/villeroy-boch-subway-20-vanity-unit-for-hand-washbasin-w-35-h-62-d-335-cm-right-stone-grey-a477430.php

Taps

http://www.reuter-shop.com/grohe-eurostyle-cosmopolitan-single-lever-basin-mixer-es-function-1-2-smooth-body-a428669.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

You have no protection - it's a cash transfer.

CurrencyFair, who I have used most charge, €3 per transfer.

Also read my post above on converting the money first and transferring second to ensure that you give them the exact amount.

I also used UK Forex - suggest you sign up to 2 or 3 - they will need a few days to do your ID checks - and then do a compare on the day to see who's best.

Some services will let you set a target rate and wait until the market reaches it.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

@TerryE

A couple of requests for more detail if I may.  Does that lose you any protection? eg Section 75 or the Debit Card equivalent?  (My bank explicitly states when asked that protections that come with the account for card payments do not apply to eg BACS.)

As Bitpipe says there is no protection, but protection against what?  With a Swift Xfer, you initiate the transfer to the chosen recipient so this removes a whole class of risks against fraudulent use of your card.  The normal German consumer protection applies in the case of companies like Megabad, which also have impeccable trading credentials.

When you cost any money deal, your need to be careful about the rate you buy at.  With our account we get 1% above inter-bank rate.  You might be able to find bettter but this is still a lot better than losing 2% plus the Fx rates that most CCard supplkiers charge.

A further question: how do Megabad treat Debit Cards?

Are they treated as Credit Cards or Vorkasse?

Once I have an answer to that I may be able to point out a couple of ways of avoiding the exchange charges as well and getting up to 1% cash/rewards back, and *maybe* keeping some purchase protection (though the Megabad complimentary scheme seems OK and you should have the 30 day return online protection if not ordering custom).

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

14 minutes ago, TerryE said:

As Bitpipe says there is no protection, but protection against what?  With a Swift Xfer, you initiate the transfer to the chosen recipient so this removes a whole class of risks against fraudulent use of your card.  The normal German consumer protection applies in the case of companies like Megabad, which also have impeccable trading credentials.

When you cost any money deal, your need to be careful about the rate you buy at.  With our account we get 1% above inter-bank rate.  You might be able to find bettter but this is still a lot better than losing 2% plus the Fx rates that most CCard supplkiers charge.

Indeed :-), which is why you should always tell them to charge in local currency on holiday because you can bet your pet Great Crested Newt(s) that the Glotel Hotel exchange rate will be worse than the one on your Appropriate (ie no FX Charges) Credit Card which will be the instantaneous Mastercard or Visa number.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I have to say Megabads returns service was excellent - I used Hermes to ship the unwanted flush plates and had the Euro refund in my currencyfair account within a few days. 

This is was the point when the pound really started to slide so I almost caught the bottom.

Never mind trading in gold, Geberit flush plates is where the smart money is ;)

On 19/12/2016 at 19:02, Ferdinand said:

Once I have an answer to that I may be able to point out a couple of ways of avoiding the exchange charges as well and getting up to 1% cash/rewards back, and *maybe* keeping some purchase protection (though the Megabad complimentary scheme seems OK and you should have the 30 day return online protection if not ordering custom).

Ferdinand

i don't think I can further help here since Megabad do not seem to recognise the concept of Debit Card.