Access ramp surfacing options (aka help sort my mistake)

jamieled

Had the building inspector in today as I'd applied for a temporary habitation certificate. Only a few things to sort although a couple are not straightforward.

One of them is my access ramp. In reading the building regs (Scottish) and associated guidance I had naively interpreted the access ramp requirement as just needing some sort of solid surface, and so I used whacked sub-base (see pic below).

20210618_202800.thumb.jpg.2e0378601b77d2fbed5747e8140a223a.jpg

This is not apparently acceptable as it needs to be a solid, bound surface with no loose material, so I need to figure out another surfacing option. So far ideas are:

1) rip up the sub-base, install timer battens along the sleepers then use decking wood (not so easy to come by at the moment, continually going up in price, quite a bit of work).

2) Use some sort of thin bound surfacing, DIY resin bonded gravel or concrete?

3) lay patio slabs/stone.

Am I missing anything? Pro's/Con's of above?

Paving slabs my suggestion too. Assuming they are available! Will be a permanent solution and your base looks good for it.

OR paving blocks. 

presumably you will have to scrape out some stone to suit the construction depth, or it will be too high at the door.

The board and felt is clever, but will be temporary. The stones will wear off and then the felt tear, but not if the ramp goes unused..

I have never used it but there is paint for application to steps for non-slip improvement. That would last longer than the grit on the felt, but is perhaps expensive.

Thanks all. The final answer will be a bit dependent on what I can get hold of. Getting hold  of decking looks unlikely, I've been picking up cement for a patio sporadically when in town but paving seems a bit tricky at the moment.