Boiler LPG Conversion

I have a new Vaillant 938 Ecotec plus. I will be running it on LPG (Propane). It needs converting, however.  Mr Vaillant wants to send an engineer to convert it and commission it. He wants £113.00 for the trouble.

I understand the replacement components are about £10.00 (= new jets).

My electrician has volunteered to supply and fit the kit. 

If I pay my electrician to do it, is it likely to invalidate my warranty? or cause me other issues down the line?

(I bought a new Toyota Prius once. Its a complex car. But I seem to recall there is legislation preventing car companies forcing drivers to have their vehicles serviced by Main Dealers. In any case, from the beginning I took my Prius to the local garage for servicing. Never a problem. Now its 165,000 miles from new. Hope my boiler is as reliable.)

Edited by Fallingditch
typo

Unless your sparky is Gas Safe registered you will not only invalidate the warranty you will be breaking the law ..! (Or he will..)

LPG needs setting up properly as the pressure and flow are different to Nat Gas. 

Do the right thing and spend the money..!!

• Like 1

Never changed a vaillant to lpg but changed other boilers. What exactly do you mean by new jets? Last one we changed was a worcester (few years ago now), it was a chip in the main pcb but it was a rite pita to set up. If ur sparkie is gas safe and has the correct equipment then fine but if not I think I would pay vaillant for a engineer. 

Just had a quick look at kit it does look like a jet. Sorry.

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

I seem to remember Nick saying that they require no parts to convert to LPG, just turn the adjuster screw on the gas valve and stick a sticker on to say its running 37mbar, I'm sure he'll be around later and confirm it.

I don't know about boilers, but when the Isle of Man went from town gas, to natural gas I had to get my hob re-jetted, jets cost iro £15 and I got my gasman mate to fit them for a tenner, 15minute job.

2 hours ago, dimpsy said:

I seem to remember Nick saying that they require no parts to convert to LPG, just turn the adjuster screw on the gas valve and stick a sticker on to say its running 37mbar, I'm sure he'll be around later and confirm it.

Dead right. For £10 you get a sticker, nowt else. 

The Vaillant is LPG ready, just a screw to turn ?  

Thats why I like, and champion them. 

15 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

He wants £113.00 for the trouble.

Pay him with a big smile on your face. 

£113 for commisioning and adjusting the boiler is cheap. 

The guy has ALL of the liability of the install and it's not worth doing TBH for that money.

15 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

My electrician has volunteered to supply and fit the kit. 

WTF. o.O

Tell him to carry on wiring. Bloody muppet. -_- 

@Nickfromwales How can I find out what commissioning and adjusting entails?

Let me put it another way. I want to fire up the boiler in order to test the UFH system etc etc. Am I right in thinking that I must/should wait for the commissioning engineer? who will convert it to LPG (with his screwdriver LOL) and then do the important commssioning and adjusting bit?

'Gassing' the appliance makes it a lethal device. You 1000% cannot and should not do this, REGARDLESS of how competent you consider yourself. Interrupting the gas supply is an offence, unless you can demonstrate that absolutely NO other 3rd party, including family, will EVER set foot inside that property. There is some bullshit loophole that people keep quoting about being legal when its 'just for yourself', but unless you have one key to the property and you can fully assure the H & S E that no other individual can enter then it's as I said, bullshit. 

Take a reality check, please, and go and do something else instead. Get your LPG GSR'd engineer out and pay him to do it. Anything else is lunacy. 

• Like 4