Which Compriband?

Hilldes

Both my window suppliers (Velfac and Solarlux) specify Illbruck Tremco TP600 Compriband. From searching BuildHub consensus appears that TP600 is the muts nuts and cheaper alternatives perform less well.

Looking at 20mm wide tape for gap fill between 8 and 15 mm and 3.3 linear metres of tape:

Tremco Compriband TP600 from Dortech £16.08

ProClima CONTEGA FIDEN EXO from Green Building Store £7.56

Has anyone experience of using CONTEGA FIDEN EXO? The spec appears similar to TP600. Given the quality of other ProClima products (e.g. Tescon Vana tape), this should be a quality product - for half the price?

7 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The Compriband has a BBA certificate and a 15 year performance guarantee.

I have bought it cheaper from ebay in the past.

Thanks @Mr Punter - did you buy the Tremco product cheaper on ebay or another product?

You could also look at Xpanda tape sold by Qualitape and Lynvale expanding foam tape. Both with BBA certificates. Neither quite the deal the ProClima tape you mention above, but when I bought from Qualitape online, they got in touch to say call them next time and they could give me discounts. They also sell all manner of other useful building tapes including Siga tapes.

Perhaps worth a look.

I've tried several brands of expanding tapes now and I honestly can't tell any difference between them - I'd hazard a bet they all come from the same factory somewhere...

Edited by SimonD

20 hours ago, SimonD said:

You could also look at Xpanda tape sold by Qualitape and Lynvale expanding foam tape. Both with BBA certificates. Neither quite the deal the ProClima tape you mention above, but when I bought from Qualitape online, they got in touch to say call them next time and they could give me discounts. They also sell all manner of other useful building tapes including Siga tapes.

Thanks @SimonD those alternative products look to be an equivalent spec to the Illbruck and ProClima products and the BBA cert is a bonus and a good price too. I had actually made a purchase before I saw this - I've gone mainly for the Illbruck product from Dortech and also bought a small number of ProClima tapes from GBS for comparison - although I think it would be difficult to fully compare without test such as wind driven rain.

A note for others researching these products: -

• From looking for a cheaper source of the genuine Illbruck Tremco Compriband 600 - Dortech was the best price I could find - many web shops of the form 'SealantsRUS' were a few pounds more expensive.
  • Are all "compriband" products equal? I'm not so sure. Most I could see on Amazon market place or eBay did not appear to claim to be capable of the primary weather seal - e.g. wind driven rain.
  • Like 1

On 10/06/2021 at 08:58, Hilldes said:

slightly lower cost than Dortech

Cost wise, all Illbruck suppliers will be there or thereabouts on price. You won’t find a massive price difference.

On 10/06/2021 at 09:22, MortarThePoint said:

£12.50+VAT/m for TP652 88/8-15 ouch.

That’s why we use the i3 system, it’s not massively different but comes in under £10 per metre inc VAT.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

...so now speaking from experience....

Plan A was to use the Illbruck TP600 product mostly in the 8 to 15mm size (and 20mm width). I bought 19 rolls ?. Stored it for at least 24 hours in the fridge, then took one roll at a time to the window in a cool bag. Ambient temperature was 15 to 20 deg C. The experience was really poor - despite the cooling, the product expended so rapidly I could not get decent lengths in correctly. As I cut off a length from the roll, I applied a clip and put the remainder back in the cool bag. I ended up wasting a significant portion of each roll. In the end I used it only for gaps that were 10mm+ and uniform gaps at that.

I purchased more of the Pro Clima CONTEGA FIDEN EXO product, which expended much more slowly - giving time to get the product into the gap effectively and neatly. When fully expanded, the Pro Clima CONTEGA FIDEN EXO product has a darker appearance that the TP600 and if anything feels to be more impregnated.

A note on gap sizes:

Our gaps were designed to 12mm for most windows (with wider cill gaps in some cases). In practice the gaps tended to be slightly smaller as the render could be slightly proud of the timber frame opening, especially where the render overlapped with breather membrane in the window reveal as pic...

IMG_1338.jpg.c44c8dfdef28f8a44685c4d6b4aeca53.jpg

So basically the gap to seal could be as low as 6mm in practice and in some sections even narrower. With the Pro Clima CONTEGA FIDEN EXO product I bought in a wider variety of sizes: 7 to 12mm, 5 to 10mm, 3 to 6mm (and 2 to 3mm but did not use).

A note in Velfac V200E windows - I should start by saying I'm very happy with the quality of the windows. One challenge though when applying compriband is it needs to be pushed some way into the gap - because there is a void behind the outer aluminium profile and the wooden window frame behind it (see pic) and the compriband needs to adhere to the wooden frame. This is especially challenging when the actual gap is less than the 12mm designed.

IMG_1341.jpg.a26d1ed2f3b17dc412211f0a4324a18c.jpg

Edited by Hilldes
typo
  • Thanks 2

I agree that with Velfac the Compriband is easier with bigger gaps you can get your fingers in, or dry fit the frame, remove, apply tape, chuck back in the hole but on a hot day with a heavy window it can be tricky.  I have used a wide blade scraper to help.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I have used a wide blade scraper to help.

Yea at some points I was using a 6 inch steel rule and a scriber to compress the compriband to tease it into the gap - but even that is tricky when the gap is so small you can't see what you are doing.

6 hours ago, gravelld said:

There's also Iso Chemie Monobloc to consider...

Thansk @gravelld Can't see that particular product. Is it this one which appears like compriband?

https://www.iso-chemie.eu/en-GB/sealing-solutions/sealing-products/multi-functional-sealing-tapes/iso-bloco-multi-functional-tape

Or this one which appears to add airtightness..?

https://www.iso-chemie.eu/en-GB/sealing-solutions/sealing-products/multi-functional-sealing-tapes/iso-bloco-one

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little unsure which width of tape to use. Thickness is fine and to match the tolerance allowed around the frame, but how wide should the tape be? Seems little point for it to be full frame width (~100mm) as all the weather based action is on the outside.

Below is a section of our frame (Residence 9) and I have mocked up some outer leaf brickwork and the cavity closer and inner leaf blockwork. To Seal I have added the following:

1. RED: 15mm width (5-12) expanding foam tape between two 'hooks' of the extrusion. This forms the weather seal
  2. ORANGE: (optional?) 15mm width (or wider?) (4-9) expanding foam tape (extra insulation?)
  3. PURPLE: Passive Purple airtightness paint or alternatively an airtightness tape
  4. CREAM: Wet skim plaster

Cavity is filled with blown beads insulation.

image.png.1f7073167389db3488d05c33dfd938d0.png

Thinking about the ORANGE tape, there are two other obvious options below. It could contribute to air tightness, but ultimately the cavity closer also needs to be sealed to the blockwork which obviously can't be achieved by any tape on the frame.

Make it wider:

image.png.6e77035536e69d575216ede28d735341.png

Move it to where there is another 'pocket' which I think is for the fixing lugs:

image.png.bbc626e4c1ee67acc16fcc84bb85b81b.png

Guessing that the lambda value of these sorts of tapes is similar to EPS or Mineral Wool which is 0.03 W/mK. a 15mm wide strip would have a U-valve of 0.03/0.015 = 2W/m2k so may be some value in going wider, but the frame would trap air pockets as well which are similar to the chambers in the frame itself.

The https://www.expandingfoamtape.co.uk/ stuff is vapour permeable which supposedly reduces condensation, not sure how though.

On 07/08/2021 at 09:00, MortarThePoint said:

Has anyone tried this: https://www.expandingfoamtape.co.uk/

It's around £2.24/m for 20mm wide, 5-12 thick

Yes, I have used loads of the 15mm wide 5-12 from this company. I've also used other thicknesses up to 25mm. It all works fine. I've more recently used Xpanda tapes as this was slightly better financially and still bba. Can't really tell the difference other than slight variation in colour - one darker grey than the other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonD said:

Yes, I have used loads of the 15mm wide 5-12 from this company. I've also used other thicknesses up to 25mm. It all works fine. I've more recently used Xpanda tapes as this was slightly better financially and still bba. Can't really tell the difference other than slight variation in colour - one darker grey than the other.

I also see that Iso Chemie make Bloco 600 which appears Similar.

Edited by MortarThePoint