Fixing oak frame to dwarf walls

Robert Clark

Hi Guys

Our builder is assembling our oak framed extension.

He appears to be having issues getting the frame square to the dwarf walls and has fixed the bottom beam to the wall with some bolts whilst he completes the assembly.

I’m wondering if it would be better to remove the bolts after the assembly is complete, to enable the frame to move as it desires?

Im concerned that if the bolts are left in place that the frame may cause the bricks to crack and / or dislodge over time.

Appreciate any comments 

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

With a standard softwood timber frame it is always mechanically fixed down to stop it moving.

Did the oak frame come with a specification covering this?

Not that I’m aware of 

There was a colour coded plan showing which piece of the jigsaw went where, but little else.

My full Oak frame (11m X 5.5m  by 1.1/2 story) isn't bolted down, just rests on the dwarf wall, they used hi-load DPC as it's thicker and rubberised to account for brickwork height variance plus I guess it helps with increased friction to sideways loads.

• Like 1

We have some oak posts holding up roof overhangs and the like. We used stainless steel pins to locate the bottom of the posts on plinths.  That were cemented into the plinth with about 6" sticking up into holes drilled in the bottom of the posts. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...