Crocodile wall extension profile into plasterboard

Loz

Hi,

Having double height extension done to replace conservatory. The blockwork started today after foundations completed. The wall on back of house that originally formed part of conservatory has plasterboard dot and dabbed on it, this will be removed and replaced. The new block work is going against this rear wall, it would have been very easy to have just pull the plasterboard off before work started today given it has to come off anyway but the builders chose to put the crocodile wall extension profiles onto the plasterboard for the inner skin of blockwork rather than just pulling about 10cm of plasterboard off all the way up and going into the block work of the house, the bolts obviously go deep and lock in but can't help feeling would have been better into the block work, when queried got a we do this all the time - just wanted to get peoples thoughts - guess not a lot can do about it now as they went all the way up with the blocks today on the inner skin to the top of the plasterboard of the old conservatory. Am I worrying about nothing or is this creating any sort of weakness ?  Am I right in saying these are to stop lateral wind movement loads ? 
The outer skin starts tomorrow and they have attached first clip into the render,  spoke to the manufacturer and they said should not have gone into the plasterboard nor go into render but cut back to actual blockwork - do builders normally do that or just attach them onto the render, don't want to push it too much as already queried it quite a bit today and don't want to annoy them as everything else going well.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

If he’s this lazy now what’s going to happen later. 

Tell him to chop it off and fix back to solid brickwork, if he whines then send him packing, you have had a lucky escape. 

Show him manufacturers guidelines. 

If he said this is what we always do then again you have picked the wrong team. 

I think this is now a right mess to sort out and a world of pain which I suspect will result in a parting of ways.

The builder is wrong, plain and simple. Sounds like the sort of bloke that won't take too kindly to being told that he is wrong. If he was the sort then I expect at the first query he would have stopped, checked and confirmed before proceeding. He didn't. He had the I know what I'm doing mentality and cracked on. You now have 2.4m high blockwork which needs to come down so it can be fixed properly. This is a PITA and I doubt he will be the sort to go, no worries pal, I'll get on it now.

If you don't stop this now though, you will be fretting about it for a long long time. If you let it go any further it will be even more pain to sort out. I would suggest you act sharpish if you intend to rather than dithering over it. The longer you wait the harder it gets. You may need to mentally prepare for the scenario where the builder goes and you have to find someone else.

• Thanks 1