What is the purpose of insulating like this?

ohuk

My bedroom is bloody freezing and one can feel draughts around the perimeter of the room, and to move the location of the nov bigger radiator I opened the floor up as you can see here. This is a 3rd floor flat built around 20 years ago.

What is the purpose of putting very thin insulation on the concrete floor, then the floor joists, and finally the flooring, leaving a big and draughty void directly underneath the flooring? All this does is prevent me from benefitting from rising heat from the neighbour below, it does absolutely nothing to keep the floor warm?

If I were to shove additional insulation under here will I later have problems with dampness...?

20210531_205739.jpg

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Do you plan to lift the whole floor in the room?

I wasn't planning to do so, just a strip along window, that floor is nailed and how horrible it is to pull those, and it's glued... 

20210531_205659.jpg

Inter-floor insulation between flats is not going to be the cause of cold draughts.

Your issue lies with the walls and their insulation and detailing.  I strongly suspect what has been discussed lots of times that you have a "plasterboard tent"

What I mean is the walls are poorly detailed, there are cracks or poorly detailed openings that allow cold air to bypass whatever insulation is in the walls.  This cold air can move around between the wall and the (presumably) dot and dabbed walls and the cold air is emerging at the wall / floor junction.

Short of stripping the walls bare and detailing properly the best short term cheap fix is to dry sealing up all the cracks at the wall / floor junction.

25 minutes ago, ohuk said:

If I were to shove additional insulation under here will I later have problems with dampness

Can't answer that directly, but my timber framed house has some small air vents at first floor level.  Not sure where they vent to from outside as not had to lift floor boards.

I assume they are there to help with moisture control, but not thought about it too much.

But now, my idea of externally insulation the place is going to play on my mind, as they vents will vet covered over.

Edited by SteamyTea