Polythene for underfloor heating

Grosey

Hi all, writing this from site now as I'm wresting with laying polythene before installing my underfloor heating. I'm getting teasy with it as it's difficult to spread and get to lay completely flat, also hard to keep tight in to the corner from floor to wall. Does any of this matter too much? Is this a job where it's ok to be a bit more slap dash? I've looked at a few google images and there appears to be creases and rumples in other people's work. 

This is mine as of 30 seconds ago...

IMG_0947.JPG

Be sure to have tight folds against the edges so that the polythene doesn't act as a mould and end up putting a curve in the edges and making them a bit too thin

-(your polythene looks quite a thick gauge - is this also a dpm?)

14 minutes ago, Frogeye said:

Be sure to have tight folds against the edges so that the polythene doesn't act as a mould and end up putting a curve in the edges and making them a bit too thin

-(your polythene looks quite a thick gauge - is this also a dpm?)

No this is a first floor so just needed as a barrier. You are correct mine is thick which is definitely making it difficult. What is the minimum gauge you could use if not DPM?

That will tear easily. 

Persevere with the thicker stuff and get a piece of timber to get it into the corners and the edges. If it's not too tight and there is some slack up the walls it will settle ok.  

Update, decided to take it all up and start again with 500 gauge / 125mu polythene, first impressions are that it's going to be 100 times easier to work with, doesn't appear too flimsy either. Just though I'd close this loop for anyone browsing this forum in the future. 

Also so planning on picking up a hammer tracker tomorrow to help with keeping it tight in to the wall / floor corner. Yet to see how well it will staple in to blockwork. 

If if anyone is happening to be reading this any advice for an adhesive I can use to stick the expansion strip to slightly damp blockwork, spray adhesive or similar but something that won't react with the foam strip itself. 

IMG_0960.JPG

I used S'fix No Nonsense spray adhesive

SAM_3092

SAM_3091

Mine though is like corrugated cardboard with EPS attached. I stuck it to the thick blue DPM. It also has a self adhesive strip down to the foil.

16 hours ago, Onoff said:

@Grosey, did you get a hammer tacker? Just seen this:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=42466

I did get a £20 Stanley one from Screwfix, tested it on the block wall, hit too hard, instantly jammed it up completely and had to take it back home to fully dismantle and repair. 

So so yes I do now own a hammer tacker but I've now completed the job I needed it for without it. 

Wish id only spent £8 now haha. 

Update on the polythene, pretty much all done with one room of UFH complete -

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG