is it OK to tile straight onto plasterboard?

9 hours ago, Temp said:

I would recommend using a waterproof plasterboard or Hardi backer board in the shower and around the bath.

What about everywhere else, is that ok or best to skim?

Don't need to skim but should use a primer. Do not use PVA because it can soften if it gets wet. Normally the adhesive co will recommend their own primer. BAL adhesives have a pretty good rep.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

Don't need to skim but should use a primer. Do not use PVA because it can soften if it gets wet. Normally the adhesive co will recommend their own primer. BAL adhesives have a pretty good rep.

In my experience Temp is right! After installing 326 bathrooms in 12 years I can say spot on!  I used Bal primer!

Also when the poor sod comes to change the tiling years later the plasterboard walls don't disintegrate when the tiles peel off the plasterboard surface.

Most often water ingress happened at the joints of tiles to shower trays or baths where a good silicone was not used and rotted the walls both timber frame and solid (plaster bubbles) or in corners of the room where silicone was not used to allow for movement.

I learnt a lot of my knowledge working for a big company who sent me to repair all the failed jobs other people did. I am still not sure if they sent me to learn or if they thought I couldn't make it any worse. ?

2 hours ago, Temp said:

yeah, bal/Mapei primer. Personally I’ve never had plasterboard fail because it’s tiled and sealed properly :)