how to prep newly plastered surfaces

TryC

Hi All,

Can anyone advice on how best to prep newly plastered ceilings/walls - some will be lined and wallpapered and others will be lined and painted.

The ladies at the local B&Q advised all you need is a cheap emulsion to seal it then you can line and paper/paint it.

But I also have a tub of wallrock primer and sealer too - but it is an insanely small tub, so when I run out of the wallwock primer/sealer, can I just use the 'cheap' emulsion from B&Q to do the remaining walls and ceilings please?

The ceilings have been plaster boarded then skimmed as the ceilings had some damage or were a bit wonky and cracky.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think the best information I can give is to stop going to B+Q 

you can use a cheap emulsion paint, but did they tell you it should be diluted down so it soaks in, otherwise it will sit on the surface and not adhere properly, then it can peel off in big sheets. 

Oh my! is B&Q that bad?? They actually said I didn't need to dilute it (I asked because my wallpaper guy said I can water it down), the plasterer didn't give much advice other than youtube my answer.

The ladies at B&Q recommended the Leyland walls and ceilings emulsion. Is that part of their own brand?

2 hours ago, markc said:

As above, get some cheapie emulsion, thin with water (maybe 60:40) and apply a wash coat, this will sink into the surface and give a key for the next coat. 

Thank you!

Will the Leyland Walls and Ceiling emulsion do it? Sorry, but what do you mean about applying a wash coat?

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

Tried several and the best I found was Wickes large tubs of cheap white emulsion, watered down a bit for the first coat.

The own brand from the orange DIY shop I found to be the worst.

oh dear.

I have purchased most of the stuff from the orange DIY shop :(

For the final coat, I was recommended Valspar from the decorator (to be fair, I have never heard of it), so I also asked the orange ladies, and they said it was their best performing range. And now after all the shite advice I have received from there so far, I am thinking I made a mistake! I cannot take the mixed paints back...sigh

That will be fine, a wash coat or primer coat/key coat etc is a diluted paint coat that will soak into the bare plaster to allow the proper coats to stick. Otherwise the dusty surface of fresh plaster allows the paint to float on top and will peel of in sheets very easily

2 minutes ago, TryC said:

oh dear.

I have purchased most of the stuff from the orange DIY shop :(

For the final coat, I was recommended Valspar from the decorator (to be fair, I have never heard of it), so I also asked the orange ladies, and they said it was their best performing range. And now after all the shite advice I have received from there so far, I am thinking I made a mistake! I cannot take the mixed paints back...sigh

Valspar is ok, usually overpriced but will cover ok.

2 minutes ago, markc said:

That will be fine, a wash coat or primer coat/key coat etc is a diluted paint coat that will soak into the bare plaster to allow the proper coats to stick. Otherwise the dusty surface of fresh plaster allows the paint to float on top and will peel of in sheets very easily

Ah, that probably explains why I am finding it easy to peel off some of the paint in one particular wall in a room. It is like popping bubble wrap, peeling off the paint is kinda therapeutic...well for me it is ha ha

• Haha 1