how do you tell if your plastering is at a good standard

TryC

A simple straightedge like a level across the wall will show up bad work.

Sunlight can cast shadows across a wall to really highlight dips and bumps and rough trowel work. A bright light/ torch will also work but just not as effective.

It should also feel nice and smooth. 

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Sunlight can cast shadows across a wall to really highlight dips and bumps and rough trowel work. A bright light/ torch will also work but just not as effective.

Thanks! do you have an example of what you mean about the simple straightedge please?

The plastering done, is nice and smooth to touch but it has 'wavy' looks in it - but it is smooth?

Also, on the areas near the door where the space is small, it feels rough to the touch - maybe because the trowel couldn't get into the small space.

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

A spirit level or a long piece of storage straight timber will do.

Post up some pics of the work.

it is more about the ceiling :)

Below first three images are of various ceilings - they seem rippley but they are indeed smooth to the touch.

The fourth photo is the area between/separating two doors, so the middle seems smooth, and the left hand side is smooth but the right hand side towards the door frame seems rough to touch. Bitty like.

I think plasterers get offended if you ask them if they are supposed to have the waves/ripples look in them. mine certainly did...

Screenshot_20210421-103024_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210421-103003_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210421-102943_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210421-102914_Gallery.jpg

Just now, Mr Punter said:

A lot of that is where the edges of the trowel have extra water.  Check it with a straight edge.  Give it a coat of paint.

does that mean i should avoid using this plasterer again?

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

So they aren't actual ripples in it??

Its just from the water in the plaster being spread out. Perfectly fine.

they sure look like ripples don't they!!!

But when I touch, smooothhhhh. so I guess they are not ripples. It is skimmed over plasterboard, so when it was drying, I could actually see the plasterboard lines - should you be able to see that? You might be able to make out some of the board lines in the photos actually.

As wet plaster dries, it dries at different rates so you see lines, board outlines, cable chases etc. as different shades. Let it dry slowly, do not throw loads of heat into the rooms or it will crack.

when its dry then look and feel what its like. a bit of minor sanding is to be expected in places

oh, one other thing! today I had a new socket installed and they had to break some of the wall/plaster off - it is very minor but still not advisable to patch up using the likes of polyfilla. So I got a quote over the phone for the patch and then a visit who confirmed it would be 40 pounds.

This actually seems very expensive for what it is - what are your thoughts? Yes, he might still need to mix it up, but he is actually in the area in which I synced up the install so he could fit it in, so he could just save some overage from his other project and just use up the excess. is 40 pounds a lot? I only ask, because when I asked my plasterer to go ahead and put up some plasterboards before skimming, which covered a lot of area, only cost an extra 60. The job overall was not cheap, but the addition of the plasterboarding was. But this plasterer I doubt would travel back up just to patch a socket, hence I used the one recommended to me by the electrican.

Thoughts please :)

14 hours ago, eandg said:

Unless he's right next door and popping in with a blob on the trowel then 40 quid seems a decent enough price for any trade to turn up at your door. 

thanks for the advice!

Hey All,

I'm in the process of sealing/priming my wall which has new plaster. I have used some sealer/primer and diluted per the instructions. When I diluted the mix, it just looks like gloopy water with floating Philadelphia cream cheese in it. Is it supposed to look like this? I stirred it as much as I could, but I do not have one of those professional mixer type things. So I hand mix and the cream cheese is melting in but it is still a bitty in the solution.

I start putting it on the wall, and it is clear - is it supposed to be clear? or white? then when I go over the wall, it soaks into the plaster and it shows me where I have applied the solution, however, some parts ( see photo), you can see areas which look dry (not the top of the photo as that is actually dry), I started applying bottom going up, and where I have applied all of the bottom parts, it looks completely DRY like there is nothing on it. Like it is repelling it. But I for sure have applied.

Does anyone know why this is?

Also, how many times do I have to apply this diluted solution/primer?

I am nervous I have done this all wrong now, with it not being fully mixed in - I watched a YouTube video and they called it misting and the solution after dilution, still looked thick, but one guy used a lot of emulsion and a jar of water only...so that might be it?

Help please! :)

Screenshot_20210422-140451_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7a88ec35e37862bd622ca41d122cbce8.jpg

On 20/04/2021 at 22:13, Declan52 said:

Below you can see the the difference between shining a torch and sunlight to show up issues. New houses here are generally taped rather than plastered.

Plasterboard1.thumb.jpg.0b620519b89e4585be719065ba82125f.jpg

Platerboard2.thumb.jpg.5db041d68ed5d41c5ba5792f4e8c4ffc.jpg

On 22/04/2021 at 14:17, Ralph said:

Below you can see the the difference between shining a torch and sunlight to show up issues. New houses here are generally taped rather than plastered.

Plasterboard1.thumb.jpg.0b620519b89e4585be719065ba82125f.jpg

Platerboard2.thumb.jpg.5db041d68ed5d41c5ba5792f4e8c4ffc.jpg

oh wow,  yes, I can see it now, I'm not a professional and I know that looks bad!

thanks for sharing!

On 24/04/2021 at 13:27, TryC said:

oh wow,  yes, I can see it now, I'm not a professional and I know that looks bad!

And the thing is, depending on the angle of the sun it looks perfect most of the time.