Meter Boards

Gone West

I think the SWA nut and collet are tight on the armour, or seem as if they could be, looking at a close up of the full image.  TBH, the whole installation is pretty grim, especially as it looks like the CU is a lot newer than the rest, so one has to ask why someone would fork out for what was probably a consumer-side rewire and not get the incoming side properly sorted, especially on a place that's a holiday let. 

As someone with a bit of a farming background, I'd say it looks a bit like the sort of stuff often found on farms..................

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

As someone with a bit of a farming background, I'd say it looks a bit like the sort of stuff often found on farms..................

Some 'farm' wiring is dreadful, other are brilliant, until you you want to put on a clamp meter.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is an update to the saga. I rang the local Sandwich CEF branch who told me to come in to order the Meter Board as I couldn’t do it over the phone. So I order and pay for it and am told they’ll ring me in a couple of days when it’s in. Didn’t hear anything for a week so rang them and was told their supplier would be out of stock until August so I could go in for a refund. I said I was looking at their web page and they had 63 in the main warehouse. Apparently they can’t order from their warehouse, that’s only for internet orders so why don’t I order direct from the internet (I’d already tried that before). So I rang the helpline number told them what had happened and asked if it rang true. Definitely not was the reply and I would hear from the Sandwich branch the next day. Needless to say I didn’t so I rang again and they said they would escalate the complaint. The next day I get a phone call from the Area Manager very apologetic about what had happened and I would be able to pick up the Meter Board from Sandwich in two days. I then got a call from the Sandwich branch manager again very apologetic saying they would deliver it to me as soon as it is in. It turns up the next day and the CEF delivery driver tells me that the sh1t has hit the fan and the branch and area mangers have to go to the Head Office to explain what had happened because of my complaint. All for a meter board that’s less than a tenner.

no big surprise really with CEF

they have lost loads of customers due to their [laughable] customer service, and wildly varying prices,

CEF, Check Every Form,

not unknown for you to purchase [for instance] 2 of something, and to be charged for 2 boxes of said item.

Mental!

When I spoke to Crayford / Dartford about the meter boards they couldn't have been more helpful. Confirmed the warehouse stock and were happy to order in for the next day all based on a phone call.

Must be a branch thing.

EDIT: One thing I will say is I like their 20mm galv couplers etc. Heavy duty compared to say Electricfix. Almost justifies that they're twice the price! :)

Edited by Onoff

My experience with CEF, the local branch, was that their prices were pretty steep.  IIRC, they were nearly £2k more, just for the cable, outlets, switches, boxes, CU, wagos etc than the price we paid for the same brand of stuff online.  To out that in perspective, the total cost of all the electrical materials (excluding appliances etc) we paid was around £2.6k, and CEF quoted around £4.5k.  To be fair, they weren't that much more than the two other electrical factors locally; all of their quotes were well over £4k.