Garden plot....convincing planners that existing house will have sufficient garden

I wondered if anyone has a convincing argument for dividing a garden plot.

I have pre application advice that is promising in terms of location, design etc but states that the application will need to prove that sufficient amenity land is retained for the existing property - it is a bit on the small side but there isn’t enough garden to realistically allocate any more garden to the existing property.

Is there an argument that small gardens are more manageable etc ? Anyone else have a good planning statement covering this point please ? 

Does your council have a written policy stating how much area a garden needs to be?

I see lots of houses on infil plots in our local town that have what strike me as absolutely tiny gardens, but they got planning, so obviously the required space here is pretty small.  Somewhere to store your bins, a clothes drying area and somewhere for a bike rack or bike shed seems to be all you need here.

As a result of the pandemic and if anything, I wouldn’t be surprised if the rules on amenity space became more of a priority and determining factor.

As @ProDave mentioned, does your LPA have any guidance or policy on amenity space? You’d usually expect houses to have gardens of at least 10m, which would allow for a 3m patio and 7m grass area.

One of the critical things for my garden plots was to ensure the existing house had enough garden.

The LPA guidance is that min of 55 m2 for south facing gardens, which we are able to exceed to the rear, with drive, garage and things to the front.

• 2 weeks later...