Dropping a boll%*k - what has been your best / worst moment

Moonshine

I carefully designed our £4k passive front door from RK systems to be 1100mm wide with 450mm glass to side (opening was 1650mm) for the desired 'big door' effect.

Door arrived 8 weeks later and was 900mm wide with 650 glass. Checked the design and I'd made an adjustment but not noticed that the door size had reset to default. 

Was really upset for a few days but got over it and moved onto the next problem :)

• Like 1

We have flammable cladding much less than the required distance from our neighbour's boundary. Completely overlooked the the BCO until his final inspection!

He basically said "Oops, I seem to have overlooked that. Oh well, it looks pretty close to the required distance".

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jack said:

We have flammable cladding much less than the required distance from our neighbour's boundary. Completely overlooked the the BCO until his final inspection!

He basically said "Oops, I seem to have overlooked that. Oh well, it looks pretty close to the required distance".

I presume this was pre-Grenfell.

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

I presume this was pre-Grenfell.

No, this was quite recent. I assume he missed it because the flammable cladding is only to an overhanging portion of the first floor. If you only look at the ground level floorplan, it appears compliant.

In our last refurb we installed 5m of frameless glass folding/sliding doors at a huge expense only to see that instead of anthracite the frames were beige! Original colour had been written down, surveyor visited to measure and gave me a form to sign with a RAL code which he took from a printed colour page and he wrote the wrong number I didn't notice. When we discovered it clearly was a huge drama but then it was forgotten about completely. Image - could have been any colour!!! Made us realise that some things that feel like a big drama you get over which helps a lot building a house.

7 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Was really upset for a few days but got over it and moved onto the next problem :)

That is the trick.

For me the art of it all has become judging how long it's appropriate to fume, rant and rave. 24 hours or less seems to be achievable.

3 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

That is the trick.

For me the art of it all has become judging how long it's appropriate to fume, rant and rave. 24 hours or less seems to be achievable.

Somewhat proportional to money spent and / or time to remedy.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 09:33, Bitpipe said:

Door arrived 8 weeks later and was 900mm wide with 650 glass. Checked the design and I'd made an adjustment but not noticed that the door size had reset to default

I would say you were a victim of bad software.

The same happened to me when insuring a car. While getting a quote online I notice I had transposed the plate year from 16 to 15 which just happened to be the same model of car owned by another person up in Scotland. I noticed my error corrected the reg number and purchased the insurance. Four months later I got pulled over by a police for not being insured and then endured a week of stress trying to convince the police and my insurer I had never owned the car in Scotland.

I suspect the quotation web site reverted to the erroneous reg number due to some back page handling software error. 

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I would say you were a victim of bad software.

The same happened to me when insuring a car. While getting a quote online I notice I had transposed the plate year from 16 to 15 which just happened to be the same model of car owned by another person up in Scotland. I noticed my error corrected the reg number and purchased the insurance. Four months later I got pulled over by a police for not being insured and then endured a week of stress trying to convince the police and my insurer I had never owned the car in Scotland.

I suspect the quotation web site reverted to the erroneous reg number due to some back page handling software error. 

Yep, but I should have checked so it was on me. The error was really just aesthetic as cost was same and it fit the aperture so could have been worse!

I know our window company was tortured by their supplier's system which regularly reset everything after making a minor change, caught a few issues there that would have been painful. 

Lesson is to double check and double check again.