Excess concrete

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

I was going to look into pre-fixing them. I didn't know it would float but I hoped it was one of those things I could do before the concrete. Do you know what's used to hold them in place?

Bits of cut up rebar.  I saw someone who bends them to shape and sells at 60p each.  Search for Claymaster Fixing Pins.  Really annoying if the boards float to the top, as it is very difficult to relocate them, so use plenty.

I use tent pegs for the clayboard. Just watch it as conny rises up past the bottom. Sometimes use a bit of timber to keep it tight against trench wall until the conny is holding it back. Depends how rough or good machine driver has been

On 12/02/2017 at 18:09, Russell griffiths said:

After you have done all that digging and dumpering, you will quickly see what a mess things can get in. 

If you get a pump pour it in one go easy. 

If you are going to do a semi preparation for the driveway how about using crushed concrete, loads cheaper than type one and it's going to get all messed up with all the trucks on it. Save a few quid to pay for the pump. 

You were spot on Russell. Started clearing the ground removing the topsoil into a pile, the slight rain the night before and the dumper was making ruts in the ground and sliding around. Really wouldn't fancy a risk of that with a bucket of concrete on pour day!!!

On 10/02/2017 at 10:07, PeterW said:

Sorry but C30 is not suitable for reinforcing - you have to use an "RC" spec concrete.

By putting the rebar into you are then reinforcing it which changes the spec. 

Have you queried this with the SE..?? Getting 65 CuM wrong is a very expensive mistake ...!

Finally after much chasing, I got a reply from the SE. He said he doesn't see why I would need reinforcing fibres.

29 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Finally after much chasing, I got a reply from the SE. He said he doesn't see why I would need reinforcing fibres.

Sorry that's not the query ..! You are putting rebar in which means you're using reinforcing in the concrete, not that it needs fibres in it to make it RC spec .... not sure the SE has grasped that one ..! 

The reinforcing I'm using is just a mechanical join between the concrete footings and the ICF concrete core if that makes any difference? Polarwall said it's overkill and he doesn't normally even recommend it.

So what does the R in RC actually mean to the concrete spec? What is added?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this after emailing the concrete supplier. He said exactly what Peter said, RC30 - " You always use RC codes when steel is put in it has a high cement ratio  and lower water "  So I emailed the SE again who said there's no need but he's happy with RC30, which the supplier is doing at the same price :)

Vijay