Hi Folks,

My first post here. I have so far put down an elevated concrete pad (30cm high) and have also built the walls out of solid dense 7.3N concrete blocks.Aas it stands the height of the highest block is 2.73m high including the concrete pad height (front of build). The problem is once the single-pitched roof is on the building height will be roughly 3.10m high. I have since been doing some digging and it seems the building may be too high? I have attached an image below so you can see the plan. 

I know people who have buildings just as high and some higher! that actually touch the boundaries of their neighbours and have been passed by the local council (Norwich, UK). So I'm confused as to what is ACTUALLY permissible and what's not, given the information online and the contradictory reality. 

Can somebody help? Also is there anything else I need to think about given the size of the building.

Thanks

plan-01.jpg

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse

This is UK wide law, you are at breach of it I'm afraid.

Check if you can apply for a retrospective planning permission - even if positive, due to proximity to the boundary (< 1 m) you'll be limited as to what roof materials can be used to comply with ' constructed substantially of non-combustible materials ' rule.

• Like 1

Is anyone likely to complain? If not you could just build it and see what happens. If someone complains the planners will send you a letter saying you need planning permission and you can make a retrospective application. If its refused you can appeal. If that fails you would have to reduce the height or knock it down.

If the planners take no action for 4 years then you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness on the grounds they can no longer take enforcement  action.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Conor said:

You could take the top course of block off and put on a flat roof so the building is under 2.5m high? That's how I did my brewshed.

IMG_20190528_143058.jpg

Very sharp! ?

(What are the blocks on the roof for?)

• Like 1

The height thing.  That is measured from the ground adjacent to the building.  I would say it is measured from the path / gravel along the front.  It is only just higher than a standard door, so what is that measurement?  If it scrapes in under 2.5M you are home and dry.

It does not matter if the ground is sloping and at some other point the height might be more.

And it's built of block, so the non flamable if <2M from boundary is taken care of.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions. So to confirm we are going to take a whole block off the top at the front so all four sides are the same height. Then a wooden wall plate placed on top. The 150mm rafters will have a 25mm birdmouth cut into them. The flat roof will be made of rafters and hangers, osb, PIR insulation, osb and then EPDM on top. I believe theres a vapour barrier in there too. After the floor has been built up there'll be a clearance of round 2.2m. By the time its all installed it'll be at around the 2.7m mark HOWEVER I will be ordering a few ton of top soil and build the ground up to the pad as my garden does have high/low points and so at least one side of the building will be 2.5 high or maybe shorter and the other 2.7 max. The ground level will be level with bottom fence one side and slow down to 2.7 the other. That'll be ok now right?

Square footage shouldnt matter as long as the dimensions are within permissable guidelines and all materials are non-combustable? 

The walls will be studded and insulated then plaster board and plaster. Electric will be fed up there using a buried armoured cable etc

Anything else I'm missing? 

Untitled-2-01.jpg