UFH ASHP Renting

Jilly

There have been so many little problems Ive asked for a break with the builders so I can do more research. 

Do I recall people discussing that UFH and ASHP might not be a great idea for a rental property? I'm not planning to rent the stables right now but its not impossible in the future. Is that because of the PITA factor and the chance of poor installation/incorrect sizing etc etc 

The fundamentals are the same as any heating system, just that sizing, heat losses and installation have to be done right. Just like any heating system.

All you have to do it tell the tenant that if does not heat the air as quickly as an oversized gas boiler.

• Thanks 1

Tenants want something that "works" but importantly from your point of view that the tenants can's mess with and break.

A lot of ASHP's have fiendishly complicated control units supplied with them.  I can imagine if the tenants started trying to understand one of those, they could rapidly get in a mess, change some settings they should not and do not understand and stop it working.

So i would suggest you do as I do, link the ASHP to a conventional central heating programmer to set the HW and heating on and off times, and put the ASHP's own controller away somehwere the tenant can't get to, like a locked plant room.

• Thanks 1

Friend of mine is a plumber, he lived in a house with ASHP, that he fitted, with no issues for 5years. Rented it out and after several years and different Tennant's took it out and replaced it with a gas boiler. Rental market don't want to pay for something not running when the property isn't occupied.

Either choose your Tennant wisely, have a backup plan with perhaps instant or localised heat.

Or put the ASHP on your own KWH meter and rent it out with the heating included and you re-imburse the Tennant somehow to cover their cost in the elec bill quarterly or so?

• Thanks 1

I am self building a holiday let and have sat on the fence when choosing what fuels the heating but working towards ashp now.

Will have log stove also and a electric towel rail on a time lag in the bathrooms. With underfloor heating on ground floor and in bathrooms, even if I went for lpg or oil it would still take a long time to get up to temperture. On a steep learning curve like most self-builders.

• Like 1