supply costs

LSB

Today UKPN came to site to have a look, engineer coming next week to do better survey.

Anyway today they said the cost would be £2090 for connection and £170 for the cable.

We are to dig the trench ourselves.

Is this cost reasonable and what is to be expected.

No not if you are digging ALL the trenches?  Exactly what work are they doing apart from laying the cable in the trench and connecting the end?

Can't comment further unless you post the schedule of works they have quoted for.

I have been quoted £7k for my new 3-phase connection, mind you nearly £2.5k of that is council charge for a TTRO (temporary traffic regulation order) and £1k for UKPN to manage/design the road closure.

the actual 3-phase connection was £1500 and about £2k to dig and replace the trenches under the road and verges.

"Description of the Works to be carried out by UK Power Networks:

Quotation is for the installation of a three phase underground service from an overhead line. This includes excavating laying and reinstating of 7 meters of the grass verge. This includes 4 meters of excavation laying and reinstating of service cable in the road. This includes an extra 10 meters of three phase cable and ducting. This includes a road closure and also council costs of a road closure. This also includes a letter drop to residents."

For us the £4.5k to not have overhead cables is worth it. 

p.s. our is zero rated VAT

Edited by Thorfun

Hmmm I though I was being ripped off, but it seems that they do charge electrician rates for digging jobs.

SSE:

3m Unmade  £107.04

1m Footpath £195.58

1x Joint Hole STRAIGHT JOINT - Unmade (1.2*1.2) £360.55

The actual electrical stuff

Additional 1 Phase Services Without Service Jt (South) £158.63

Service Joint Only -100A 1 Phase off Main (South) £259.95

LV Pot End £143.84

This is for 1 phase to 3 phase upgrade, I dig and prepare everything on my side.

1187705140_3phupgrade.thumb.jpg.6df9247fd0acdb5e390995ac4fff2211.jpg

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

No not if you are digging ALL the trenches?  Exactly what work are they doing apart from laying the cable in the trench and connecting the end?

Can't comment further unless you post the schedule of works they have quoted for.

I haven't got one yet, this was the initial visit, the proper engineer is coming out next week to see if he can access the telegraph pole from out land or if they need to go into the farmers field.

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

Connection cost could be not far off if it is an underground connection to an LV in the verge. 

@LSB does that also include VAT..?

There will be VAT at 5% as it is a conversion not a new build.

It is an underground connection to a box on the outside of the wall.

As the wall exists, but doesn't have the EWI yet they are going to put a 'box' so we can move.

This is 3 phase.

This power connection doesn't go anywhere near a road, it is from a 11,000v supply just on the corner of our land and the barn we are converting is 10m from this pole.

All this is about 125m from the nearest road,  our existing 3 phase supply comes from this pole.

What was noticed is that there is a single phase supply ending at this pole, which doesn't go anywhere else, so they may remove that, it runs along the boundary of our land.

Also, our existing supply was shrouded 20 years ago when we renovated our house so they are going to remove that as well.

But, these 2nd two items are not chargeable.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

So this is a transformer connection ..? 

I don't know, our current one comes out of this pole, about 1m below the big grey metal box and 4 wires (3 phases and an earth) go to 4 other poles, then to our house.

I'm assuming that the same will happen except the wires will go down a pipe thing on the side of the pole and then into a duct for the under ground bit.

I'll find out more next week, but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

Just now, ProDave said:

What you need to wait to find out, is whether the existing transformer (big grey box) can support an additional house, or if the transformer needs to be upgraded to a larger one.

Thanks, the man who visited seemed to think it would be okay, but whether that was because his computer said 'yes' I'm not sure.

He seems to just say that it wasn't a problem because there was 3 phase already there.

But, the big guns are coming out next week.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow as the issue we also have is digging the trench down 3m from the bottom of the pole to get to the level of the yard, which is of course covered in concrete just to make life easy.  Good news is that HID got the breaker started today in the shed, just needs the handle repairing now, it got dropped at some point in the past and just left.