A bad smell

canalsiderenovation

We are evacuating into the other side of the house. Went to get ready for bed and use our ensuite and oh my god do we have a bad smell. Literally makes my eyes water it's absolutely disgusting. We don't have an opening window as it's a flat roof skylight so have the fan on with little impact. Shut all doors to stop it drifting through house. 

Our ensuite is used regularly, probably more than any other.

The weird thing is I can't pinpoint it coming from anywhere in particular and my sense of smell is acute (unfortunately). I know we have a durga valve in there. All other loos fine and no smells.

I think it's like a gas sort of smell. It's not like any farm smell and I grew up on a farm! I've had my nose practically down each plughole inside the vanity unit and by the loo and it doesn't appear to be coming from any of these points. It's not musty or mouldy either.

They all said I have never smelt a rotting animal either ?

Edited by canalsiderenovation

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Flies in a few days are a good tell tale it's a dead mouse! 

Thanks for that.... ??

We do have mice, shrews and voles. I know because they chewed through a lot of our items in our dry storage in the outbuildings as well as destroying some wiring in my car and chewing through my MOT and insurance papers..... We had quite a few traps in place in the outbuildings and it was a daily task lady year. I may need to get the traps and peanut butter out again....

Drains/septic tank guy here .... STP pump 'working but not' muttering about blockage. Plumber also coming out. Now it's not us putting anything down it we shouldn't, we have been very careful so the question is what's the issue as it's only impacting on the ensuite toilet the other two are fine. 

I just knew it had to be the plumber.....

4 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Plumber now also checking traps but I think these are fine.....

I one lived in a rental property where emptying the bath also sucked water out of the bidet water trap. Once that trap had lost its water then in some wind directions there was a direct airflow from the septic tank into the bathroom.

Edited by epsilonGreedy