TMV For Bath

Onoff

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Thermal mixer bath filler? I've seen them in hotels so they exist. BUT the flow rate from them was disappointingly slow.

I'm using a mixer with a 3 way valve to do shower, hand wand and bath so that we don't need bath taps. They do have a pretty high flow rate if done properly but most hotels have flow limiting anyway. 

Just chop into the hot and cold in the attic space. You already have joints under the bath, so you could chop it in under there TBH, but personally I despise the thought of not filling a bath thermostatically as I hate to see a bath overfilled with scalding hot water and then cold water being poured over it to cook it back down ?.

I also have heard about little ones accidental getting into the bath before the cold has been added and then getting scalded or even dying from the injuries  ?.

As I have 4 dependants, I have done what @PeterW is proposing, e.g. a thermostatic 3-way diverted and no taps. image.thumb.jpg.d2583df76a806c716cf31b1c622618d4.jpg

The only thing I wil say @Onoff is you'll have better flow rates through your tap and the separate TMV than I have through my mixer, but I absolutely didn't want taps on my bath. 

• Like 1

Still a bit lost on this, being a bit dense no doubt!

The TMVs I've seen are "3 port". Hot in / cold in and then mixed and regulated out I guess.

I've two separate pipes going to a mixer tap. Where does the TMV go, in the hot pipe? I can see that working so that hot is only ever at a certain maximum and you would just add cold if it was still too hot for some tastes.

Do I end up with an unused port on the TMV?

Again, dumber than soup I know!

you are sort of right but not ( and again happy to be corrected)

you are trying to lower the temp of the incoming hot water to a safe level

so it goes in the hot feed

you will have 

cold to cold

cold t TMV

Hot to TMV

tmv to hot tap or mixer

59 minutes ago, dogman said:

Gotcha! Understand the idea now. So set at 44 to 46degC? For some reason I find this image easier to understand:

in-line_blending_valves.jpg.dec80b8719b36530bea6cdb366a9139f.jpg

Just for home. Need to fit one as the 10 year old has grown up without a bath in living memory! :)

Looking on S'fix there's a Bristan for circa £45 and a Bristan and a Pegler for £50 ish. All good for TMV2 & 3. I assume buy a "name"? The Pegler is preset at 43degC. There's a no-name TMV2 on in T'station for £38.

???

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Altecnic are what Telford supply with their cylinders for all of the PRV stuff. Well made and pretty reasonable quality. That's good for a 15mm one too !

It's TM3 if that makes a difference? 

On the assumption I need different temperatures at basin and sink then I'll need two?

Some jiggery pokery here necessary as the hots are together, basin on the left, bath on the right:

20170122_170809