Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) planned - 8.5kW up to the job?

Spoogster

1 hour ago, Spoogster said:

we are near joining the OVO Heat Trial

46 minutes ago, Spoogster said:

There is no requirement to switch to OVO with this Govt install

Do OVO get the RHI payments or are they paid by the Government in some other way.

1 minute ago, PeterStarck said:

Do OVO get the RHI payments or are they paid by the Government in some other way.

Govt are funding the trial direct. OVO are just doing the leg work alongside a number of named manufacturers (Mitsubishi, Sunamp, Daikin etc.). Google OVO Heat Trial and you will see the rub.

Good blog site by the way - I grew up near Ash (my friend lived there) so know it very well

• Thanks 1

The tank needs replacing anyway, so that would be £1500 plus fitting. 

I would hope not ..! Has it been serviced annually ..? If so, the Megaflo has a 10 year warranty from memory so I would be claiming. Even so, the tank is change of £800 at that size so someone has seen you coming. 

ASHP tank needs to be min 250 litres and preferably 300 litres, the lower temperature and slower recovery time are a major factor in sizing. 

I would want a heat pump at probably 12kW based on a 2000 BRegs spec build - wouldn’t be taking a chance on the lower spec. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I would hope not ..! Has it been serviced annually ..? If so, the Megaflo has a 10 year warranty from memory so I would be claiming. Even so, the tank is change of £800 at that size so someone has seen you coming. 

ASHP tank needs to be min 250 litres and preferably 300 litres, the lower temperature and slower recovery time are a major factor in sizing. 

I would want a heat pump at probably 12kW based on a 2000 BRegs spec build - wouldn’t be taking a chance on the lower spec. 

Is there much of a price difference between a 8.5 and 12kW ASHP? Govt are paying so I just need to be pushy I assume.

Thanks re size of tank. The Megaflo is 21 years old now so claim unlikely. Costs I got off that wonderful internet thing..... lol.

Edited by Spoogster

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Read it at your peril. :)

Short version:

Another member had a free ASHP heating system fitted for free by some grant scheme and it has failed to work properly, failing to heat his old cottage to a sensible temperature.  The manufacturers and installer have failed to resolve the issue and the forum has been trying to understand why it does not work.

Ongoing..........

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Short version:

Another member had a free ASHP heating system fitted for free by some grant scheme and it has failed to work properly, failing to heat his old cottage to a sensible temperature.  The manufacturers and installer have failed to resolve the issue and the forum has been trying to understand why it does not work.

Ongoing..........

I suppose in the worst case, if we had to endure a year of poor ASHP performance we could either a) sort it out at our own cost or b) rip it out and put the old gas boiler back, and flog the kit on eBay! Might break even.  Requirement to keep the installation is until end March 2022. Includes remote monitoring and control over that period (eek!)

I would be happy to keep it running 24hr through autumn/winter/spring to keep the COP high, so mitigating Zoot's issues. Definitely looking  at 12kW pump though

Edited by Spoogster

Govt are funding the trial direct. OVO are just doing the leg work alongside a number of named manufacturers (Mitsubishi, Sunamp, Daikin etc.). Google OVO Heat Trial and you will see the rub.

How do I get on this scheme?