Staircases from China

Boonka

Hi - I am researching modern open stair designs for my bungalow loft conversion, and had a few quotes from UK companies, circa £10,000 for steel, oak treads and glass balustrades . I started digging around the internet and found Chinese companies making identical looking stairs (even using the same photos which I know is suspect), pictures from the factories which look legit etc... and started wondering if UK companies might actually use Chinese factories (hence same photo usage!)? 

I am wondering if, prejudices aside, there is any merit in considering this as an option? They are significantly cheaper, and it could be unfair to assume the standard of engineering might be substandard. I am new to this forum but wanted to get opinions. Have any of you on a budget considered it? 

Here is the site I have found. https://primabuilding.en.made-in-china.com/product/FOSJAEZHApVh/China-Customized-Carbon-Steel-Dual-Stringer-Tread-Indoor-Straight-Staircase.html

The same photo of the staircase I would ideally like appears on a UK company called  Complete Stair Systems who say their stairs are manufactured in Italy.

Many thanks in advance! 

Not surprising that a lot of this is being offered via China as the term “Copyright” translates to “perfect copy” for most of their manufacturing ... My only questions would be whether it has legitimate kite marks on the toughened glass, and what happens with any damage in transit. I would expect VAT and import duties to add a fair chunk too. 

Just for comparison, I’ve been having some steel parts laser cut recently and had various prices including using Chinese suppliers. Costs for laser cut 6mm steel plate ranged from £2-7 per item, and the cheapest was 10 minutes away not 6,000 miles away and the quality was perfect. 

Don’t underestimate the local engineering you may have available, as they may well surprise you. 

17 minutes ago, Boonka said:

The same photo of the staircase I would ideally like appears on a UK company called  Complete Stair Systems who say their stairs are manufactured in Italy.

Or purchased from Italy.

Many goods are made in China, to a high quality, reliable delivery and legally.

I would start pushing the UK supplier/agent for a better price.

Or pay with a credit card/paypal and claim on section 75 (or the PP equivalent) if it goes wrong.

Edited by SteamyTea

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I would start pushing the UK supplier/agent for a better price.

Or pay with a credit card/paypal and claim on section 75 (or the PP equivalent) if it goes wrong.

My recent experiences, I would NOT trust PayPal's customer protection.

My fabricator is quoting £2-2.5k for the steel, either a single central stringer holding trays, or 2 u-channel stringers with brackets, powdercoated black....for a 15 riser set.

Planed all round oak, delivered works out around £900 for my size of tread (50x276x950)...but that leaves me to edge glue and finish and fit the treads(which will be 2 pieces of 138mm each).

7 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

My fabricator is quoting £2-2.5k for the steel, either a single central stringer holding trays, or 2 u-channel stringers with brackets, powdercoated black....for a 15 riser set.

Planed all round oak, delivered works out around £900 for my size of tread (50x276x950)...but that leaves me to edge glue and finish and fit the treads(which will be 2 pieces of 138mm each).

Wow that's great. I'm in Bristol. Perhaps I could have a chat with your fabricator? 

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I am not in favour of buying goods from China.  I think it is better morally and ethically to source locally made if possible.  Also you can bask in your own smugness.

I totally agree - I started this journey with that in mind so actually want to avoid paying £10,000 + VAT to a company who will just order from China on my behalf! So just figuring out if actually that's the status quo, and if so I might as well cut out the middle man. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boonka said:

Perhaps I could have a chat with your fabricator?

You can but my point really is not to go to a 'staircase' company, talk to a local fabricator....most of them have at least done external fire escape stairs, it's not a great leap from there, unless you have a particularly unusual design in mind.

PM me if you want my man's details, but to be honest I use him because he's now the devil I know and we have some understanding....I can't in all conscience recommend him and if starting from scratch i'd definitely look elsewhere.