Pyrolytic ovens

29 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Surely these high temp devices create lots of particulate air pollution :ph34r:

Tsk Tsk! 

Can you get pyrolytic steam ovens?  Other hard advises that with NEFF and Miele it seems to be one or other. Both gave advantages so we need to weigh up. I think the steam one wins as we cook a lot... 

Yep, I have Neff and get the same result. It's also a steam oven, you need to remove the water cartridge first.

Few comments, the steel grill racks need to come out and get hand washed (brillo pad brings them up nice) as they will discolour otherwise. The enamelled pan can stay in.

One of our ovens (the non microwave) also has 'stunt' side racks that allow you to remove the normal ones (which are made of the same stuff as the racks) to take the pan.

The oven gets very hot and the process takes about 2 hours - if you have PV, do it when the sun is shining!

Any un-enamelled areas on the inside of the door will not clean and any dirt here will get burned on - we were advised to use a cold cleaner on these the night before so they're clean before you do the main oven.

I would recommend getting the cheapest Neff/Siemens/Bosch oven with this feature. Why pay up for 20 different over programmes that you will never use when this is of genuine use. Other makes do have the function but I haven't tried them. The now call the feature activeClean. It is not the same as a self-cleaning over which has a coating which is supposed to react with heat to help clean them when they are on. This does not work as well, Siemens call it ecoClean.

They claim that they only use around 3kWh for the cycle and that this is actually cheaper than the cost of oven cleaner as well as not getting any nasty chemicals on your hands.

Once finished the oven is coated in a thin layer of ash and you can just wipe this away with a damp cloth or piece of kitchen roll. You should give the oven a quick wipe beforehand as mentioned to clean the door and also to take off any thicker pieces of dirt as these won't totally burn away.

Apparently in the newer ones you can leave the racks in. My wife ran ours without reading the instructions :( and didn't take out the rack. It took the shine off it and now it doesn't slide properly.

Our ovens are 4 years old and still look pretty much like new when I run this feature. For the modest extra cost it is a steal.

Many thanks for the replies chaps.

On 03/02/2017 at 19:30, Tennentslager said:

Are these the self cleaning ones?

Erm and related, what on earth can you do to make amends with the other half once you in the dog house...if it's not clean the oven and keep quiet about it until she notices...then lap up all the hot $€℃

pfft.. I don't think my other half knows where the kitchen is.

On 03/02/2017 at 20:06, jamiehamy said:
On 03/02/2017 at 19:35, Crofter said:

Surely these high temp devices create lots of particulate air pollution :ph34r:

Tsk Tsk! 

Can you get pyrolytic steam ovens?  Other hard advises that with NEFF and Miele it seems to be one or other. Both gave advantages so we need to weigh up. I think the steam one wins as we cook a lot... 

I did read about this and some which give off a horrendous smell during a cleaning cycle. Not really sure how true it was or if I've missed a discussion on here about.

I think the steam ovens I looked at have a different cleaning feature similar to what Bitpipe mentioned where you have a water cartridge and cleans with steam as opposed to simply incinerating the residue into ash.

I have an IKEA (whirlpool I think). Used the cleaning feature once, it does work but the smoke sets off the alarm. 

But to be fair, I used it for the first time after owning the oven for 4 years

My preferred under-rated feature is a connected thermometer probe. Set the roast to 61deg, go watch telly and the oven turns off at that temperature. Perfect for all meat and fish (different temperatures apply)

Duck Breast turns out better than many expensive restuarants I have been to!

yet to try a steam

19 hours ago, Daedalus said:

I did read about this and some which give off a horrendous smell during a cleaning cycle. Not really sure how true it was or if I've missed a discussion on here about.

We have a one year old Siemens oven with self-clean function.  It does indeed give off unpleasant odours when cleaning itself.  I tend to do it with the MVHR on boost, and when we don't plan to be sitting in the kitchen.  Hopefully this isn't as bad as a wood fire for particulates! O.o

I also agree with whoever above said that you need to clean doors etc before running the cycle.  We managed to generate some baked-on stains on the door surrounds that will probably take steel wool to remove.