Wall Hung WC

Onoff

Presumably the downside of buying "cheap" is going to be you'll struggle to get a new seat when required if you go for a cheap one like this? Is vida XL a name?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-Plastic-Toilet-with-Soft-Close-Bathroom-WC-Pan-Bowl-Seat-White-Wall-Hung-/332007350459?hash=item4d4d2e20bb:g:WCoAAOSw4DJYiVIa

This RAK seems better in that seats are available for £57:

http://www.britishbathroomcompany.co.uk/toilets/wall-hung-toilets/rak-metropolitan-wall-hung-toilet

("We" do go through loo seats!)

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Stainless hinges is a no brainer. Don't buy an all acrylic seat or you'll be sorry. 

She reckons it's me and the boy who "corrode" them..... :ph34r:

Tried explaining the cheap seats we've had in the past probably have had cheap alloy hinges.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

She reckons it's me and the boy who "corrode" them..... :ph34r:

Tried explaining the cheap seats we've had in the past probably have had cheap alloy hinges.

I suggested the "solution" to that is to install a urinal.  Yes I am allowed to have one.  In the garage.

I rather like this Duravit Starck 3, the way the pan kicks up at the back. I can see that being handy to stop "stuff" running down the tiles behind too much. Circa £190 inc seat & VAT. But a new seat's around £100.

2017-02-01_09-32-25

I'm more after pan & seat <£150 and new seats about £50 or less.

Edited by Onoff

The seats thing seems to be a potential problem, now that there are so many "non-standard" shapes of pan around.  We've bought pans that have a rectangular shaped opening, and don't particularly like the plastic seats they were supplied with.  SWMBO wants me to fit an oak seat to the one in our bathroom, but a hunt around all the usual suppliers hasn't come up with one the right shape.  I'm right on the point of trying to have a go at making an oak seat, and incorporating the hidden fixings and soft close mechanism from the existing seat, but can see that it's going to be a lot of work to do, and I'd rather just buy one.

What we found when the seats got broken is the only seat I could find that would fit (top fixing) was a self closing one.  Now that just makes you lazy and when you go to a friends house that does not have self closing, you give it a nudge and BANG.  Whoops.

• Like 2

I'm looking at those duravit toilets too, onoff, they are really nice. Villeroy and Boch do a similar design, but I agree that the seats are v pricey. There are some "compatible" ones on eBay that are soft close too, but it's a bit of a risk tbh, as the colour prob won't match exactly, and who knows how "compatible" they really are. 

Toilets are a real issue, there's too many aspects to consider. Unfortunately, there are some UK providers that are now the same price as megabad etc, due to the terrible exchange rates. 

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The seats thing seems to be a potential problem, now that there are so many "non-standard" shapes of pan around.  We've bought pans that have a rectangular shaped opening, and don't particularly like the plastic seats they were supplied with.  SWMBO wants me to fit an oak seat to the one in our bathroom, but a hunt around all the usual suppliers hasn't come up with one the right shape.  I'm right on the point of trying to have a go at making an oak seat, and incorporating the hidden fixings and soft close mechanism from the existing seat, but can see that it's going to be a lot of work to do, and I'd rather just buy one.

Vinyl wrap? 

@Nickfromwales, I see here that you used a flexi to connect to the soil:

Are they more prone to blockages because of the concertina / ribs?

As it is I think I need to add some full height packing strips (maybe 12mm) to the face of all my studs to get the collar of the push fit 110mm couplers in. This as the face of the soil is currently flush with the soil pipe:

20170201_154524

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

I rather like this Duravit Starck 3, the way the pan kicks up at the back. I can see that being handy to stop "stuff" running down the tiles behind too much. Circa £190 inc seat & VAT. But a new seat's around £100.

Hi @Onoff

have you a link where you have seen this for £190? All my searches show over £300!

thanks

Yup. Why not pack it a bit more and squeeze a pair of soil fittings for the offset? I'd strive to not use the flexi if it were me. 

The one I pic'd was a paying job so it was up to them. Stump up the extras for 'flexi-mitigation' or fit a flexi and don't call me call Dynorod ;). They chose the latter. 

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Onoff 

You brave enough to do it in Terrain ( solvent weld ) ? Almost no knuckle then. 

Good shout. I'll go that route. Assume it'll "weld" to the pipe already there?

I'll practise with the push fits I've got to gauge whether I need 2x45, 2x30deg etc.