Elec supply planning

Adam2

My current setup is a couple of small cabinets at the site perimeter, one with meter + small CU and other essential bits and the other with sockets. I may leave these in place long term so am planning to run a conduit for the house supply from here to the plant room - about 15m away. It can get buried quite easily and I wondered though if I should already place the cable in the conduit as it may be hard pulling it through even with a pre-installed line at a later date. For now the cable wouldn't be connected. If it makes sense to pre-install the cable - what spec cable should I go and get? Any particular conduit needed? 

Thanks

16mm steel wire armoured will be okay at 15 metres as long as it is fed by an 80A switched fuse, otherwise 25mm steel wire armoured.  Can be buried direct no need for duct but if you want a duct ant BLACK duct >50mm diameter will do.

Black twinwall duct as big as you can, pull a nylon draw rope through and then when you want to pull the real armoured cable through use a cable sock - best thing I ever discovered, I pulled a bloody awful 5 core SWA pulled through without too much sweat.

always go with the bigger cable, you never know what you will have to supply in 5 years time, so a sensible upgrade from 16mm to 25mm makes sense to me.  EV Charging/ Heat Pump etc

We always use flexible 100mm ducting for cables, makes it easy to complete ground works and install electrics later, and no one ever complains about not being able to get cables through it 

On 07/01/2021 at 17:32, Adam2 said:

I wondered though if I should already place the cable in the conduit as it may be hard pulling it through even with a pre-installed line at a later date.

I think that is an excellent idea. Why didn’t you think about it a couple of years ago so I could have plagiarised it!!

(More to the point, why couldn’t I have thought about that myself!)

• Haha 1

Yes, you can also put the cable in the duct while its lying on the ground nice and straight. Just make sure you have enough out each end.

In my area duct comes with a thin string in it. Use it to pull a proper 8-10mm thick draw rope.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1