Disc cutters - petrol vs electric

Adam2

Anyone have experience of the two? Evolution have their promo vid that looks pretty OK but hey they are trying to sell something.

I'm in the market for one to cut blocks + steel so will need some power and I guess decent blades will make a big difference so would appreciate views from the experienced

2 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

Anyone have experience of the two? Evolution have their promo vid that looks pretty OK but hey they are trying to sell something.

I'm in the market for one to cut blocks + steel so will need some power and I guess decent blades will make a big difference so would appreciate views from the experienced

Ive tried a few different electric saws over the years. The electric will be ok for easy to cut materials like blocks and occasional lighter steel or rebar BUT if you want a heavy duty saw that won't lie down there is a reason all the professionals use Petrol saws.

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a 9” grinder with a diamond disk and it’s great for small stuff like blocks and bricks. Feels light in the hand and it will cut most things. Downside is the cable being dragged around !

I’ve had a play with the new Makita LXT 9” one that has 2 batteries but I can’t see how this will stand up against either petrol or a mains one. 

• Thanks 1

Decent fuel and good fuel oil mixing is the key with anything 2 stroke. I only use super unleaded with Stihl single shot oil, never have an issue with chainsaws or disk cutters. Tried that Aspen pre-mix and binned it as it was awful !!

Have 9 inch grinders been banned from site use ??

i thought they where on the list far to many casualties. 

If you are are unfamiliar with this sort of thing then get the petrol cut of saw, the angle you use it means you lean over it so better control. 

With the 9 inch electric you get lots of power but it is light enough to do stupid shit, you can climb a ladder with it ??‍♂️ Use it at face height ??‍♂️  

After personally knowing two lads that have had a kickback from one and been hit in the face mine stays firmly in the garage and has not been used in 5 years. 

nothing band from sites from HSE point of view.

its more that large construction companies have their own rules... ie no working off step ladders use podium steps  etc.

i prefer stihl saw for cutting blocks, as you can connect up hose and dust suppresion is sorted.

I'd imagine a battery powered disc cutter would be a step too far. Maybe I should get a 12" electric one for general jobs and if need anything bigger hire it for the day. These bigger electric ones seem to have similar ergonomics to the petrol so safer than 9" ones mentioned above?