Jump to content

Getting broadband set up for new build


Recommended Posts

Hi there - and apologies for posting this in the wrong part of the forum first time round.

We started our build back in November in a rural part of Stirling. I'm looking at the best way to get broadband for the property one it is built (estimated May 2021). As we haven't got a phone line yet, I have contacted openreach and shared the relevant plans so they can arrange a survey and provide an estimate. I'm waiting to hear back from them at the moment. I'm still not 100% clear if this process needs to be done through openreach or if one of the providers like BT or Virgin can do this. Openreach do seem quite difficult to communicate with. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this and could offer advice on the process. Someone has also recommended Briskona as a potential alternative to getting a traditional openreach connection set up. It would be really helpful to understand how their broadband speeds/reliability compare if anyone has experience of using them. Thanks for your help!

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you considered 4g.

We live in rural Wigtownshire and have just binned Bt as the speed was about 2 Mb/s down and 0.3 up. We now have a TP link 4g router and an EE unlimited data sim and get about 60 down and 20 up fo a quid or two less than the BT cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Ben G said:

We started our build back in November in a rural part of Stirling. I'm looking at the best way to get broadband for the property one it is built (estimated May 2021). As we haven't got a phone line yet, I have contacted openreach and shared the relevant plans so they can arrange a survey and provide an estimate.

 

Is there an obvious telephone pole nearby and what do neighbours get?

 

If there is a pole near your boundary you could do what we did and run your own cable to the bottom of the pole and leave enough to reach the top. The engineers that eventually come to do the connection are usually happy to connect it up as it saves them some work.

 

If Openreach refer you to a broadband company I recommend using BT or Plusnet (which is owned by BT). Then later switch to whoever to want to. That's because BT and Openreach are still essentially the same group of companies.

 

The 4g route is worth looking at if 4g coverage is good in your area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a consumer,  you can not usually contact Openreach directly as they only deal directly with the service providers (BT, Talk Talk etc..).

 

However, you can engage with them when they're on site.

 

Here's my suggestion, based on what I did for my site where I wanted to avoid re-connection to the pole and instead route underground (I had done all the ducting & drawstring on my side).

 

1) pick a provider and submit an order for a new connection, should be free or near to but you will need to sign a 12 /18 / 24 month contract.

 

2) OR will book a visit, sometimes the attending engineer can survey but they may need to come back with a more qualified head. This is when you can quiz them on what needs done and what the options are. i.e. doing your own ducting, digging, road crossing and cable laying - you can buy the OR approved grey ducting and gel filled cable which, if you leave at the base of the pole they will happily use (or if you're lucky they may give you some). My guy advised that I would be better off doing most of the work independently as it would be much cheaper.

 

3) OR will generate a formal quote and you can then price up your DIY alternatives. As expected, OR was almost twice what I could do independently as they're using 3rd party firms for road work etc who charge by the metre. However, ensure your own option has priced necessary permits for road closures and will do the correct finish etc. Also consider 'moleing' under the road which can work out cheaper.

 

4) If you want to use OR, accept their quote. If not, decline quote and allow order with the service provider to lapse. Go get your enabling works done independently.

 

5) When ready, go back to step 1 (you need to wait at least 30 days for the original OR quote to expire) and when OR come to site to survey they should be happy with what has been done.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has this changed recently?

 

As a developer you can (or could) contact OR directly and they would come and survey, tell you what was needed and free issue all the cable and duct that you needed for you to prepare.

 

With the cable they supplied I had it laid so when I was ready for connection they just had to send someone to dig a hole and make a connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Temp said:

 

Is there an obvious telephone pole nearby and what do neighbours get?

 

If there is a pole near your boundary you could do what we did and run your own cable to the bottom of the pole and leave enough to reach the top. The engineers that eventually come to do the connection are usually happy to connect it up as it saves them some work.

 

If Openreach refer you to a broadband company I recommend using BT or Plusnet (which is owned by BT). Then later switch to whoever to want to. That's because BT and Openreach are still essentially the same group of companies.

 

The 4g route is worth looking at if 4g coverage is good in your area. 

Thanks. There is a pole that runs along the main road that is about 150m away but I think the neighbours have gone down the 4g route. I'll also look into the BT/Plusnet option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

Has this changed recently?

 

As a developer you can (or could) contact OR directly and they would come and survey, tell you what was needed and free issue all the cable and duct that you needed for you to prepare.

 

With the cable they supplied I had it laid so when I was ready for connection they just had to send someone to dig a hole and make a connection.

Hi this is the option I followed. I've submitted the plans to OR although I'm waiting to hear back from them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...