Hairline crack ( not rude )

Pocster

Noticed a crack in the k rend .

The crack continues down the cement of the stone wall . Presumably an expansion gap should of been put in . What’s a fix for render and wall ? . Just ct1 over it to stop water getting in ?? Not critical - but dont want it getting worse .

4850B3AF-0852-42F3-96C4-B0F1BBF80AD6.jpeg

DF51C93A-6DFE-480E-83A4-C520FD550B3E.jpeg

CD73F226-F9C0-464B-BCAC-8717FA5CE993.jpeg

I have some hairline cracks in my K-Rend, just on one section on the back of the house.

The SE came and looked and his opinion was that it was not caused by movement in the house, as for example the mortar joints in the stonework on the same wall had no cracks, but by the fact that the render had some narrow panels between windows and some much larger areas which expand and contract at different rates (it is the south side of the house) and this has caused cracks. There are no cracks anywhere else on the entire house.

K-Rend make a special repair filler, comes in a tube like silicone. The builders used it and at first made a hash of it, it just looked like a whiter area with a crack in the middle. However, when they dug out a crack and then filled it it made a much better repair. We are still considering whether we want to use K-Rend's flexible render fixer over the whole wall(cannot remember the name), but are waiting on them confirming it will fix the problem. Despite the wall being done by an approved installer and to spec they have of course been absolutely useless in getting back to us about it.

If the SE is correct and it seems like he is right looking at the wall, then it is a poor show that the render may be prone to cracking on a south facing wall with a combination of narrow and wide panels. The only solution would be to have expansion gaps all over the wall which would look awful.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyT said:

How long is the wall and do you have an expansion joint, as the can be hidden with downpipes if planned a bit

The stone wall is about 15 metres long - there are no expansion joints - I know this because I built it ?

Normally they are made with a plastic strip, but I don't see why you can't cut the render out and put in a line of mastic.

The problem you have is that the crack is not vertical, so you will need to fix some of it also.

23 minutes ago, AliG said:

Normally they are made with a plastic strip, but I don't see why you can't cut the render out and put in a line of mastic.

The problem you have is that the crack is not vertical, so you will need to fix some of it also.

What about on the k rend ? . Can that have a vertical cut inserted and then expansion joint inserted ?

The reason for the render beads as shown is to get a neat and strong edge. But as the K-Rend is already on the wall you cannot get a bead behind it, so will just need to cut a groove into it and fill with mastic. Without the bead the edges will be prone to chipping but I wouldn't worry about it over such a short distance.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking this is the side wall by the footpath? If so it’s not in your front elevation so not “in your face”. That wall has subsided a bit and may move a bit more yet so I would just cut into the cracks with an angle grinder and put in a bead of mastic, this will allow it to move and stop any water getting in.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Am I right in thinking this is the side wall by the footpath? If so it’s not in your front elevation so not “in your face”. That wall has subsided a bit and may move a bit more yet so I would just cut into the cracks with an angle grinder and put in a bead of mastic, this will allow it to move and stop any water getting in.

Yeah - on the side