Sash windows airtightness

NickK

Hi and all the best in 2021 (although I said the same last year and look how it turned out).

Does anyone have any experience with performance of sash windows at all? I was doing some reading about Georgian style house, which tick quite a lot of boxes for me. Easy shapes to build, symmetricity, simple roof, etc. However, I do wonder about sash windows. You can get some with very good U values but if they are not airtight, isn't it a false economy? Any real live experience or solutions? I have seen Mock Sash Windows but not really sold on them.

I am not building anything right now, just gathering knowledge :-).

Thanks,   

33 minutes ago, NickK said:

Hi and all the best in 2021 (although I said the same last year and look how it turned out).

Does anyone have any experience with performance of sash windows at all? I was doing some reading about Georgian style house, which tick quite a lot of boxes for me. Easy shapes to build, symmetricity, simple roof, etc. However, I do wonder about sash windows. You can get some with very good U values but if they are not airtight, isn't it a false economy? Any real live experience or solutions? I have seen Mock Sash Windows but not really sold on them.

I am not building anything right now, just gathering knowledge :-).

Thanks,   

Hi Nick,

This year i've installed Green Building Store timber sash windows on my new build, which I think look loads better than a lot of the 'mock' sash windows on the market. They score a class 3 on air tightness (out of max 4), this is with both top and bottom sash openers. I specified many of my windows as fixed, non opening and some with only one sash sliding. I am hoping that, having installed them correctly, I will still be able to achieve a very good air tightness score. 

I’ve got unbranded upvc sash windows.

Positives:

look ok. Great variety of opening options. Nice and secure. Zero maintenance. RAL colour options. Easy to clean. Light weight to slide and tilt.

Negatives:

Crap for air tightness.

I wouldn’t have them again. But I guess you get what you pay for, they were cheap. In fact I am wondering if I should swap them out for more normal casement windows. 

@willbish I have to admit that the Green Building Store mock sash windows just look odd but that is based only on pictures. It may be different in the real world. I hope airtightness will spot on for you.

@Gav_P You get what you pay for as with anything in life. I agree normal window is lot better but if we are talking Georgian Style, sash is almost non-negotiable.

1 hour ago, NickK said:

@willbish I have to admit that the Green Building Store mock sash windows just look odd but that is based only on pictures. It may be different in the real world. I hope airtightness will spot on for you.

@Gav_P You get what you pay for as with anything in life. I agree normal window is lot better but if we are talking Georgian Style, sash is almost non-negotiable.

Based on my experience, although they had a fairly decent u value (afaicr), any consideration to sash windows needs to focus on the draft proofing and tolerance between frame and unit. 

My sash windows are from Bereco.

fitted them 14 years ago on the original house and 2 years ago on the extension

timber, prefinished decent spec

fitted With metal brackets and then foam around the gap, then tescon tape over onto the timbers- tape hidden by plasterboard and internal cill 

• 2 years later...
On 12/01/2021 at 19:08, TonyT said:

My sash windows are from Bereco.

fitted them 14 years ago on the original house and 2 years ago on the extension

timber, prefinished decent spec

fitted With metal brackets and then foam around the gap, then tescon tape over onto the timbers- tape hidden by plasterboard and internal cill 

Sorry to resurrect this thread, would you still recommend these @TonyT? If you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost you when you last ordered some?