Coping Stones failure!

Pocster

Hey!

As I needed so many of these and to save some ££££ I bought a plastic mould and made my own.

As they needed to be very light in colour I used white cement with some sand and dye agent.

Once made they looked great!. Now after about 18 months of being in situ they have thousands of little hair line cracks and indeed I can see they are literally falling apart!!!

Why is this??? - did I do anything wrong!?

Cheers

Frost damage?...

http://www.makersgallery.com/concrete/faqs.html

How can I make my concrete more frost resistant?

Make a high quality crack-free concrete. Cracks allow moisture penetration; the water can then freeze and crack the concrete even more.
The main thing is to use as little water as possible. In a wet mix, some of the water does not get chemically combined. This water can freeze and crack the concrete from inside. Also make the concrete as dense as possible (vibrate to get the large air bubbles out if it's a casting).
Also, use an air entrainer. When added to concrete, then mixed (either in a concrete mixer or with a power drill - hand mixing doesn't work), the air entrainer creates tiny air bubbles in the mix which allow expansion and contraction when freezing. Also, use a good quality sealer to prevent as much water penetration as possible.