Sealing Windows

Thorfun

Sealing windows  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

interested in hearing peoples opinions on this and thought a poll would be a good way to view the results (although I've not started a poll on here before so I hope it works!).

I'm asking as I've been told by our window company that we can choose compriband, silicone or foam with no difference in price so I thought I'd throw it out the to hub to see what you'd choose and maybe you could add a why you'd choose it to fill out the details.

all our windows will be taped internally with airtight tape as well so it's just the decision on the seal of the window to the timber frame.

thanks,

Tom.

Needs a multi choice option.

Compriband and PU foam, all day long. Anyone thats seals between window and building with silicone, needs a boot in the b*ws.

As for no difference in price, sh*te.

Compriband is significantly dearer than PU foam, both are significantly dearer than silicone.

They’ve marked up significantly on material if they’re doing that.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a layer of compriband around the centre of the frame and another layer near the outside edge of the frame. I also have Soudal low expansion foam around the inside edge of the frame. I didn't use any airtightness tapes or membranes in my house.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, craig said:

As for no difference in price, sh*te.

Compriband is significantly dearer than PU foam, both are significantly dearer than silicone.

They’ve marked up significantly on material if they’re doing that.

then I'd better choose compriband then. ? 

Just to tag onto this as it now affects me. Is the above (compriband) suitable for sealing the outside gap  between the timber frame of the aluclad window  and the tyvek covered frame,.

The windows will sit within the depth of the wall panel, possibly flush with the outside or possibly with the 10mm of aluclad proud of the external face of the frame.

All the youtube stuff I have seen is about the flanged style USA windows.

Can I just X cut the opening, fold the edges, patch the corners with tyvek and illbrook me315 , fit the windows, compriband the outside, foam the inside and clad up to the aluclad window with my cedar and tin. That's the plan so far. Do I need extra waterproofing to the top of the wall under the bottom of the window cill for example?

Drawings or videos would be especially useful.

Thanks

@trialuser the Compriband will normally seal between the window and whatever the reveal will be finished in, so you could run your cedar or tin into the reveal 50mm past the line where the Compriband will be, fill the gap with Compriband externally and foam internally.

The Tyvek is the last line of defence and should prevent any water that has got through the cladding to run away.

Cheers. I won't be able to do that now as the windows will fit within the thickness of the timber frame wall panels and only have about <10mm gap all round. I thought this was correct from a heat loss aspect. Might be able to do that with the tin corner flashing I suppose.