My patched plaster - things to do better next time?

Moonshine

I am decorating my living room, and had to deal with an area of some blown plaster. It was about 8mm deep and 750mm diameter.

Because it was a small area i couldnt be arsed to get a plasterer in and as it's going in a hidden spot behind a sofa, I figured let's have a go myself, though this was my first ever time plastering, and the location of the back box wasn't helping how easy it would be.

I hold plasterers in high regard as it's a heck of a skill and a physically demanding job, that in mind I hit YouTube....

After a few videos, my plan of attack was,

- weak dilution PVA on bare brick and plaster side walls, allowed to dry.

- stronger dilution PVA on top, allowed to go sticky.

- one coat of multi finish to 3-4mm, smoothed fairly flat and keyed, allowed to dry to firm but damp.

- top coat of multi finish to 3-4mm smoothed flat.

Photos of stages below

20201209_094355.thumb.jpg.059775b349083b70ce7ecac13309b655.jpg

Wet PVA prior to first coat

20201209_103423.thumb.jpg.e22fc1eed89e9369bc5d27cd95f5c81e.jpg

First coat keyed

20201209_164900.thumb.jpg.b9c300275e797ca28773401cc5183d21.jpg

Second coat

20201209_160420.thumb.jpg.0c2d9599c9aba4a4adc23083a3897308.jpg

Detail around back box

It took ages to get the final coat smooth. However I think that I made the final coat too sloppy and sagged towards the skirting. It was a bit of a struggle to work with.

Also I was able to see the keyed first coat through the second until it dried a bit.

Overall pretty happy with how it turned out, and feel more confident to tackle larger area, but I would be interested to hear where I can improve.

This was the lad I "learnt" from when my boy & I plastered the bathroom ceiling and one half wall. Really pleased with both.

Adding cream of tartar to the mix gives extra working time. Old plasterer's trick. It works.

Easifill 20 is good too for filling those last imperfections.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

That was what I heard, but I couldn't stop fiddling with it ?

Yeah that was the biggest thing I learnt too when plastering, patience, leave it alone, its amazing how it wets back up to smooth it.

Would also say if your final coat was sagging you may have been a bit on the thick side. I know its hard when doing a patch though.

31 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Yeah that was the biggest thing I learnt too when plastering, patience, leave it alone, its amazing how it wets back up to smooth it.

Would also say if your final coat was sagging you may have been a bit on the thick side. I know its hard when doing a patch though.

I only tried plastering once, at my previous 1930's house, just patch repairs like this. 

I would love to know what I was doing wrong. It mixed up and went on okay but set it a matter of minutes and I could hardly get it flat before it was going stiff and became unworkable and ended up with a poor finish.

Then when we had an extension built and had a plasterer in I was staggered by how long it remained workable.  I had assumed it was because he had plastered a whole room and it was so wet and humid in there it stopped it drying out too quick?

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It mixed up and went on okay but set it a matter of minutes and I could hardly get it flat before it was going stiff and became unworkable and ended up with a poor finish.

Did you PVA the wall you were patching first as if not the bear bricks will leach away the moisture from the plaster(?). Also how hot was it in the room when you did it, it was cold in the room i was working in.

38 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I only tried plastering once, at my previous 1930's house, just patch repairs like this. 

I would love to know what I was doing wrong. It mixed up and went on okay but set it a matter of minutes and I could hardly get it flat before it was going stiff and became unworkable and ended up with a poor finish.

Then when we had an extension built and had a plasterer in I was staggered by how long it remained workable.  I had assumed it was because he had plastered a whole room and it was so wet and humid in there it stopped it drying out too quick?

Assuming your plaster was in date?

Poured the plaster into water, not water into plaster? Consistency should be like greek yoghurt, nice and creamy.

All equipment fully clean, and water crystal clear? Any speck of plaster will cause it to go off super quick.

If you splash with water too soon it makes it go off also, water causes it to harden.

I've seen all sorts of tricks to slow or quicken the setting times in videos online.

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

This was the lad I "learnt" from when my boy & I plastered the bathroom ceiling and one half wall. Really pleased with both.

Adding cream of tartar to the mix gives extra working time. Old plasterer's trick. It works.

Easifill 20 is good too for filling those last imperfections.

Trick is to give it a coat

let it go in Then mix a small amount for the second coat 

It will smooth out easier 

Looks a pretty good effort to me though