Water main

Jilly

The builder is preparing to connect the water main into our stable conversion.

The old  building has 600mm footings with a 150mm slab. Builder's subbie (a) wanted to drill into the slab to bring the pipe in. There was quite a bit of huffing about not having the right tool.

Today, main builder turned up with a less experienced side kick (b) and persuaded me that this isn't necessary and the they can just go through the wall at the bottom above the slab. This was difficult enough, there was some puffing about the drill. I had to point out he was heading for the DPM in the wall as the masonry started breaking away there and asked him to redirect it.

However, I can see this isn't fully correct as insulation is going to be an issue, but I can also see that going through reinforced concrete will be difficult. I went ahead because I need photos (including of insulation) before the water board will book our connection in. They also want photos of the plumbers certificates, which I am certain neither subbie (a) ( b)  nor the main contractor have. 

Subbie (a) has confided he gets very stressed when asked to compromise his standards, so I feel he's on my side and that may be why he wasn't present today. However, it is making me little uncertain/distrustful, so I'm glad I can ask you all ...?

Edited by Jilly

15 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

so they forgot to put a 110 pipe under the footings to pull it through then. 

They have bodged it, mains water should never be above ground (or less than 750mm) so it doesnt freeze.

I would normally agree, but its a conversion so footings and slab foundations were already there?

Perhaps ask them to put a small (20mm?) plastic pipe through the wall as well so later on you can put an electric cable through it for a pipe heating element/tape.  Not necessarily one of these makes but there are plenty of similar products for protecting exposed pipes..

https://www.ezeheat.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4nhJ9KM__Pa68L3YG5PbQMB56syRx9hvOf2t7Z7agebxWHU54EaakWUaAoQdEALw_wcB

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Heat_Tape/index.html?ad_position=&source=adwords&ad_id=396625263039&placement=&kw=heat tape for pipes&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&campaign=ROAS_Cable&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4ngBn6yw39V_PYGehf27oL9pZrXuzETw-8mDqq95Lz7OwjI9qRNOwG4aAi4vEALw_wcB

https://www.traceheatinguk.co.uk/trace-heating-products

You wind them around the pipe before covering in insulation. Protect insulation from rodents with a suitable metal box/brick/stone enclosure. 

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

I had similar issue when making my brewshed. I left 40mm drain pipes through the slab as conduit for the water pipe but could get the pipe round the bend!

So I drilled in through the side just above ground level. To protect the pipe, I built up a small brick pier (3 bricks making a U shape against the wall) from just below ground level to just above the entry point, and capped with a couple bricks cut at an angle.

Didn't have any issues with frost... But we are by the sea and heavy frosts are a rarity so I didn't worry too much. For a house, I'd be filling the void with rockwool.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

so they forgot to put a 110 pipe under the footings to pull it through then. 

They have bodged it, mains water should never be above ground (or less than 750mm) so it doesnt freeze.

Its an existing building, a conversion. There is water in the correct place, but comes from next door and they don't want a submeter