Wobbly light or a visit to Specsavers

Pocster

Tenants tell me no hot shower water which comes from a uvc .

Taking a look I see for some reason the second switch down with orange light is not lit . I literally apply almost no pressure and the light comes on . So assume the switch mechanics are dodgy . The orange light though now ‘wobbles’ ( or my eyes are bust ) - is that a further sign of an impending issue ?

E66A3492-4C44-4527-AB12-85276ABFE6D1.jpeg

The orange light is a neon, and they do tend to flicker a bit, but change that switch or take it off and make sure the screws holding the wires are tight, there is a fair bit of current through those things.

• Like 1

The neon lights are notoriously unreliable and often fail, often because of the appallingly bad way they are connected inside the switch, so no light does not automatically mean no power.  the only sure way is to take it off and measure the voltage at the output.

But hold on, what is going on there?  Top switch I would expect to be daytime boost, but it connects to a timer, so are you giving the tank a daytime boost regardless of whether it needs one or not?

And the bottom switch I would expect to be off peak and would not expect any power to it in the daytime, but it has power, and why does it connect to a junction box going to multiple places not just straight to it's immersion heater element?

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The neon lights are notoriously unreliable and often fail, often because of the appallingly bad way they are connected inside the switch, so no light does not automatically mean no power.  the only sure way is to take it off and measure the voltage at the output.

But hold on, what is going on there?  Top switch I would expect to be daytime boost, but it connects to a timer, so are you giving the tank a daytime boost regardless of whether it needs one or not?

And the bottom switch I would expect to be off peak and would not expect any power to it in the daytime, but it has power, and why does it connect to a junction box going to multiple places not just straight to it's immersion heater element?

Lol ! I don’t know ! I didn’t wire it !

?

I’ll see if it works ( I’ve allowed an hour so will contact tenant now ) . In theory though even if bottom switch was off , top timed one should of provided a tank of hot water anyway ....

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yeah but the things not working and it’s a rental . Best not I touch it - liability and all that . Suspect the switch because although it was lit when I left and subsequently was not lit tenant said water was Luke warm for a bit then cold . So guessing it did heat for a bit before the switch failed again . This sparky isn’t the one that installed it . This one I’ve used 100 times and trust - so if there’s anything suspect / not regs he’ll sort it . Then of course bill me ?

I suspect you have TWO problems:

Off peak heater has failed some time ago, but has gone unnoticed until now that the TOP immersion (or the timer) has failed.

Or possibly vice versa.

Either way an electrician, armed with a spare immersion element or 2 should sort it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Off peak heater has failed some time ago, but has gone unnoticed until now that the TOP immersion (or the timer) has failed.

Or possibly vice versa.

Either way an electrician, armed with a spare immersion element or 2 should sort it.

There is no off peak ( assume you mean economy 7 ) .

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I seem to remember a lengthy discussion in the past about this exact wiring?

There was !

Builders ‘electrical ‘ mate did it . All been signed off properly now . Be interesting to see what ‘my’ sparky says .....

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Or possibly vice versa.

Will a sparky be able to check if the elements are dead ? . I would guess also more than 1 issue at work here . Super Sparky will solve it ?

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Will a sparky be able to check if the elements are dead ? . I would guess also more than 1 issue at work here . Super Sparky will solve it ?

It just takes a multimeter to check the continuity of the element, typically in the region of 19 ohms for a good one.

So if there is no off peak, why the 2 feeds and only one on a timer?

Perhaps a bit of understanding of what you have got and check it matches what you need?

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It just takes a multimeter to check the continuity of the element, typically in the region of 19 ohms for a good one.

So if there is no off peak, why the 2 feeds and only one on a timer?

Perhaps a bit of understanding of what you have got and check it matches what you need?

No idea why it’s done like that . Perhaps the ‘plan ‘ ( not my plan ) was a timer for when demand is higher . I expect they didn’t understand it’s a hmo and ( especially now ) demand for hot water can be 24/7 I.e shift work so not a simple boost in the morning type scenario you would get in a ‘family’ household .

What I need is hot water 24/7 so the timer might be pointless BUT ( I remember now ! ) there are 2 elements so assume one is the timer the other the always on .

Was installed 2 years ago - can’t remember!!!!

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I bloody hope so otherwise he is no good ( I could do it but I am 2 1/2 hours away ?)

But we need to fight first , then you take a look at the wiring , then buy some glazing . Busy day for you ! ?

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

There was !

Builders ‘electrical ‘ mate did it . All been signed off properly now . Be interesting to see what ‘my’ sparky says .....

Oh yeah... I remember now. 

At least you can get it sorted now.... probably another chance for you to take someone to court. ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Gav_P said:

Oh yeah... I remember now. 

At least you can get it sorted now.... probably another chance for you to take someone to court. ?

This is the first year I’ve not been to court ( though there is still time ) . Usually twice a year on average . Ever watched ‘ Suits’ ? That’s me that is !

1 minute ago, pocster said:

This is the first year I’ve not been to court ( though there is still time ) . Usually twice a year on average . Ever watched ‘ Suits’ ? That’s me that is !

Yeah, I can picture you as a Louis Litt kind of character! 

• Like 1