Sound insulation

Morning

can anybody point me at building regs for sound insulation between rooms in timber stud walls. 

If a wall is built using 88mm cls timber then I’m going to struggle to get 100mm in, so is 75mm sound slab enough

walls will have 11mm osb both sides and then plasterboard, happy to upgrade plasterboard if it’s needed. 

What are the regs on ceilings between rooms I have 225mm deep joists so far more room in there. 

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Morning

can anybody point me at building regs for sound insulation between rooms in timber stud walls. 

If a wall is built using 88mm cls timber then I’m going to struggle to get 100mm in, so is 75mm sound slab enough

walls will have 11mm osb both sides and then plasterboard, happy to upgrade plasterboard if it’s needed. 

Regs extract below is for England from Approved Doc E, page 65

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468870/ADE_LOCKED.pdf

Capture.JPG

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

The regs are here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/468870/ADE_LOCKED.pdf

With your build up of 11mm OSB I think you will only need either 25 or 50mm insulation anyway. A lot of walls are removed from the regs if they have doors in them - you can pretty much eliminate most of the walls in a corridor this way.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

@PeterW so are you basically saying if I have a wall with a door in it that has a 10mm gap underneath for the mvhr to work better the wall insulation becomes a waste of time, as sound transfer will be through the door itself as well as the gap under the door. 

E2 limitation A) applies from the below (extract from regs)

86F84877-7522-4CA0-A1A2-43727EE3E155.jpeg.c8bf14d208c89c8553155dbe7aeca606.jpeg

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Morning

What are the regs on ceilings between rooms I have 225mm deep joists so far more room in there. 

Bathroom to bedroom 

Toilet to living space 

The rest is choice 

• Like 1

@Russell griffiths its previously been discussed on here and you're better with 50mm acoustic slabs with 88mm cls. Filling the stud results in worse performance. 

I could hear the missus on her phone last night when I went to bed. Shut the bedroom door and it near enough completley blocked it out. I only mention because i have a gap at bottom of door for air flow but it was still effective 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

@Russell griffiths its previously been discussed on here and you're better with 50mm acoustic slabs with 88mm cls. Filling the stud results in worse performance. 

I could hear the missus on her phone last night when I went to bed. Shut the bedroom door and it near enough completley blocked it out. I only mention because i have a gap at bottom of door for air flow but it was still effective 

Exactly 

We partition hundreds of student pods of six and only use 25 mil acoustic roll Packing them full of insulation achieves the opposite 

50 mil slabs are good but should ideally not touch either side of the PB (Air Gap)

• 1 year later...

I'm just about to buy some APR as I'm told a 30% price rise coming this week and I'll need ot shortly. 

Not sure from this what to buy for internal walls. They are 90mm studs at 600mm centres. I was assuming 50mm throughout the house but might seem daft now. Is it worth just putting 25mm in hallway walls? Then 50mm where it matters between rooms and bathrooms? 

Also daft question. How do you hang it? It.can just sit there surely especially at 25mm? Or do you fit one side of PB the place it against it? 

Also where studs are less than 600mm do you cut it or just force it smaller?