What is this spinning bevel edge planer called?

epsilonGreedy

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Having just watched a long review of the Makita 700w trim router that looks like an unbranded clone off the same production line.

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, daiking said:

Yes, the 12 pc set is £22

I am happy with the 12 pc Trend set, not sure how much I paid. Happy with my trim router so far, beware they generate clouds of wood dust.

Later in the summer I intend to build a fake Georgian front door with fluted pillars each side, that will be a real test.

In case anyone is reading this and considering buying a router, before using it, do some research about what direction they're supposed to be pushed relative to the edge you're working on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I am happy with the 12 pc Trend set, not sure how much I paid. Happy with my trim router so far, beware they generate clouds of wood dust.

Later in the summer I intend to build a fake Georgian front door with fluted pillars each side, that will be a real test.

"Trend is your friend!"

Thinking about it that was the slogan for BMS software...I think...

30 minutes ago, daiking said:

Been watching home made router table YouTube videos all afternoon ?

it gets addictive ..!! Quickest way is to use a 600mm Kitchen base unit on its side - nice and robust and has a smooth surface to start with ... 

12 hours ago, jack said:

In case anyone is reading this and considering buying a router, before using or, do some research about what direction they're supposed to be pushed relative to the edge you're working on.

yes, get yourself a book on the subject, good for reference. I have been routing for years and it’s very satisfying, carefull with the speed, too fast will burn wood very easily. Lots of practice on off cuts. I have a dovetail jig for mine and it’s a very satisfying and professional looking joint.

On 23/03/2021 at 20:07, joe90 said:

yes, get yourself a book on the subject, good for reference. I have been routing for years and it’s very satisfying, carefull with the speed, too fast will burn wood very easily. Lots of practice on off cuts. I have a dovetail jig for mine and it’s a very satisfying and professional looking joint.

And also bear in mind that the cutter keeps spinning long after power is removed ...! This will cut into anything you put near it long after the button is released, including the workpiece, the floor or your flesh... 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

And also bear in mind that the cutter keeps spinning long after power is removed .

Which is why a sprung plunge router is safer as the blade retracts on removal from the workpiece.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

I’ve also been looking at pocket hole systems as these seem ideal for hidden joint fixings

I've got one of the Kreg ones. They're pretty good, but work best with thicker wood. 12mm is marginal. I recently did some 19mm plywood and it worked well.

Also, they work best when you put the pocket on the outside of the joint. If you do it from inside (which is often the best for concealment purposes), you're angling the screw towards the outer edge of the board to which you're joining, which makes for a weaker joint and greater chance of splitting.

For the right job though, they're great.

4 hours ago, jack said:

I've got one of the Kreg ones. They're pretty good, but work best with thicker wood. 12mm is marginal. I recently did some 19mm plywood and it worked well.

Also, they work best when you put the pocket on the outside of the joint. If you do it from inside (which is often the best for concealment purposes), you're angling the screw towards the outer edge of the board to which you're joining, which makes for a weaker joint and greater chance of splitting.

For the right job though, they're great.

I have in mind something of a split level bar/counter thing, goal post framed akin to a kitchen island. The best value material for this seems to be Facebook Marketplace 'scaffold boards'. If anything this is too thick but I'm not paying the prices of proper timber let alone something decorative for this rustic themed project. 

The inset bit under the bar top will be a slatted design something like pallet slats or roof batten and I'll have a go at planing these with my new router. 

• Like 1