Just a quick hello

jgooding

Hi I've been a long time reader here and ebuild. I'm renting in a town called Keynsham near Bristol with a wife and two daughters. After losing a lot of money by buying a house in December 2007, we refuse to buy another new build and I have convinced the other half we should self build. So just a thanks and apologies for the bombardment of questions I will send your way.

• Like 2

Hey,

We're only looking atm, found a few sites that are a possibility. Might need to find a site that can fit two houses now, as I've also managed to talk my bother in law into self building. Currently spending some time in Surrey for work atm and wish my wife would move this way. What I've seen is very nice.

15 hours ago, jgooding said:

Hi I've been a long time reader here and ebuild. I'm renting in a town called Keynsham near Bristol with a wife and two daughters. After losing a lot of money by buying a house in December 2007, we refuse to buy another new build and I have convinced the other half we should self build. So just a thanks and apologies for the bombardment of questions I will send your way.

We actually bought our house in December 2007 too,

We've seen about 30% gain, 

So I think you've been a tad unlucky,

I get it a lot, no, wheel signaller sets the route so you need to know where your going, as you can't go where you don't sign. One girl asked if they have wheels because she's had only been on the underground.

12 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Forgive the daft question but does a train have a steering wheel?

Like I know you can't do a three point turn but what about points... do you just go where they send you?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jgooding said:

... my bother in law 

Freudian slip? :D

14 hours ago, jgooding said:

Currently spending some time in Surrey for work atm and wish my wife would move this way. What I've seen is very nice.

Yes, it's nice (I live in west Surrey), but prices are eye-watering.  I'd prefer to have lived somewhere cheaper so we didn't have to tie so much money up in a house, but this is where my wife's family live (mine are overseas) and where we ended up with my work a few years ago.  I wouldn't move now we're settled, but I do sometimes look at the amount we have "invested" in this house and wonder...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I did some training for ASLEF once, got to 'sit with the driver'. Fascinating journey. 110 MPH does not seem fast from the cab, the signals appear quite quickly and, at the time, the driver had to swap over safety system. Much more complicated than I ever imagined.

Then there are the track sitters to deal with, not something I could cope with.

On 23/01/2017 at 20:46, jgooding said:

I get it a lot, no, wheel signaller sets the route so you need to know where your going, as you can't go where you don't sign. One girl asked if they have wheels because she's had only been on the underground.

Some people think this is the steering wheel.......................................

Image result for 1st gen dmu cab handbrake wheel

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 09:03, SteamyTea said:

I did some training for ASLEF once, got to 'sit with the driver'. Fascinating journey. 110 MPH does not seem fast from the cab, the signals appear quite quickly and, at the time, the driver had to swap over safety system. Much more complicated than I ever imagined.

Then there are the track sitters to deal with, not something I could cope with.

I drive freight and engineering trains. 125 in a passenger train feels fairly slow, I find it far worse doing 60 in a freight/engineering train that doesn't want to stop.

2 hours ago, jgooding said:

I drive freight and engineering trains. 125 in a passenger train feels fairly slow, I find it far worse doing 60 in a freight/engineering train that doesn't want to stop.

O

Right, okay, it's not got a steering wheel and doesn't want to stop and you call yourself a driver...!

Next thing you'll be saying is it doesn't have a CD or satnav?

I'd join a Union

3 hours ago, jgooding said:

It is true that a Deltic can't run full speed on the mainline light engine because it's brakes are so poor? I was told it can only do 100mph once it's coupled to airbraked stock.