Dave, Jack has a Loxone home automation system, with a mass of Loxone modules in there, plus, IIRC, a division to comply with the regs and keep the ELV/SELV stuff clear of the LV stuff, and that takes up room.

As I recall, it's a very neat installation, and, either by accident or design, that board allowed the LV/ELV to be separated very easily. 

Bear in mind that it's a year or so since I saw it last, and my memory may not be 100% on the detail, plus the electrician was there wiring up the Loxone stuff, and tempting as it was, I didn't want to disturb him with a stack of questions about it!

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Dave, Jack has a Loxone home automation system, with a mass of Loxone modules in there, plus, IIRC, a division to comply with the regs and keep the ELV/SELV stuff clear of the LV stuff, and that takes up room.

I told you the answer would be obvious.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

But there are only 22 circuits, it would have been easy to get that down to 20 and use the same large domestic board as I have. e.g do you really need a dedicated circuit for a shaver socket?

And I am going to regret asking this as I am sure the answer is obvious, but what's the yellow "loxone" label on half the circuits?

As Jeremy said, Loxone is the home automation system we use.  There's a large yellow sticker out of view in this photo explaining that all switches with this sticker need to be switched off in order to remove all power from the Loxone cabinet in another room.

Re: size, it was more than just circuit numbers at the time the house was built, we wanted it future proof.  More PV, plug-in car(s), who knows what the future will bring?

Some of the larger domestic units we looked at seemed a bit cramped for an all-RCBO installation.  The electrician thought it would be easier for installation and maintenance if there were more room.  The cost wasn't that much more in the scheme of things (felt cheap compared to some of the other things we were shelling out for at the time!) so we went with the bigger one.

I can't remember the thinking about having the shaver on a separate circuit.  Maybe it was to do with the fact that the lighting circuits are controlled by the home automation system and dimmed remotely, and there're no power circuits anywhere near the bathrooms.  There are three shaver sockets so I assume he just put them all on the one circuit for convenience (and it isn't like we were short of room/ways! :D

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

All correct, except the Loxone stuff (dimmers, relays, controller) is all in another cabinet... which is even bigger than this one! ;)  

On 23/01/2017 at 20:18, Steptoe said:

DP ISCO are quite permitted in the regs, but I would only ever fit them as a last resort and space really was that tight, they are a smidge smaller than 2xSP blocks, but not by much,

Also, SP gives you the option of entering either end , (oh err,),

So back on this for a mo... due to space in the box, swapping out the DP for 2 SP (thanks @Steptoe for the advice) resulted in a bit of a rejig but all went well. Eon have not only tagged all the meters with seals, he decided to tag the Henleys too as he's been in them and adjusted the tails. Each tail now has an isolator, one in this box and one in the next for the local board, and he also added correct tagging on the meter tails too which I've not seen before. 

IMG_0214.JPG

Only comment he made was around the earth block as he would normally fit one but given there was one already there he left it and used it direct from the DNO breakout. 

Pretty pleased with it as a nice tidy install - sparks back tomorrow to move the gates onto "our" power finally ..!

• 7 years later...
On 23/01/2017 at 23:39, Steptoe said:

Yep, you simply wouldn't use SP RCBOs, and these are a comparable price,

Assuming, (and I know I shouldn't) that OnOff and myself both obtain these direct from the same source, 

they are not afaiaa sold to the public, but only to Electricians who have evidenced it to the importer. 

Hi there, old post I know... in 2024 is there anywhere or any other manufacturers that provide a busbar and compatible isolator and RCBOs? It's a neat solution to save on mounting a seperate terminal. thanks.